Talk

Advanced search

Food that can be prepped in advance and then cooked in under 20 mins?

(7 Posts)
ItMustBeTuesday Sat 06-May-17 13:10:55

Does anyone have any recipes that can be prepared the night before and then cooked in under 20 mins?

Between working and DD's activities after school we never have time to cook and we are getting to the point where we are living off sandwiches and junk or constantly eating out which is costing us a fortune.

We don't have any allergies and DD can be a bit fussy sometimes but not too bad. Happy with either meat or veggie recipes, to be honest anything other than sandwiches is an improvement at this point!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 06-May-17 13:17:05

Pasta bakes? Such as tuna or macaroni cheese.

The fajita and rice kits you can buy are wonderful and reasonably healthy; chop up all the ingredients (onions, peppers, garlic, whatever veg you want, and cooked chicken) the night before and keep in the fridge, then just bung them altogether for one-pot cooking.

ItMustBeTuesday Sat 06-May-17 18:03:52

Thank you. Can I do something with rice and still reheat it the next day? Like a risotto or something like that?

Bohemond Sat 06-May-17 18:05:04

Chicken ceasar salad. Ready cooked chicken even better. Just fry some bacon.

Destinysdaughter Sat 06-May-17 18:11:01

Stir fry, pre made spag Bol, chilli, soup, also cook jacket potatoes in microwave, heat up in oven, add beans, cheese or tuna, egg mayo, easy! Tarts, falafels, rice salad with cold meat or cheese.

everythingstaken123 Sat 06-May-17 20:11:53

Yes, you can reheat risotto.

Do you have a delay timer on your oven? That is a godsend. You can make something and set it to be ready for when you get home. Failing that, you could get an instant pot and set it off to be ready for when you come home either as a slow cooker or a pressure cooker.

PippaFawcett Sun 14-May-17 00:18:28

I don't batch cook, I can't bring myself to be that organised, but I will often do something on Sunday, like a roast chicken or lasagne, that will do for Monday night too which puts me one meal ahead and try to Tuesday night prep on Monday night and so on.

I can't say we have nailed it yet as we also rely too much on eating out/takeaways/quick and boring teas. Fortunately the DC would eat pasta for every meal if they could but I prefer something a bit different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now