Talk

Advanced search

Party sandwiches, please help!

(17 Posts)
Callaway22 Mon 24-Apr-17 14:53:09

I'm doing a buffet for my daughters birthday party. My plan is to make them up on the day and I was going to buy some plastic sandwich trays with lids (just like you'd get if you bought sandwich platters from m&s).

Will I be okay to make the sandwiches, pop them on the tray and put them in the fridge in the morning for eating in the afternoon or will they go stale?

I'm assuming they won't go stale since that's how the supermarkets seem to give them but I don't want to make a mistake and end up with awful sandwiches.

Thanks for your help smile

Callaway22 Mon 24-Apr-17 14:54:08

This sort of thing.

SaorAlbaGuBrath Mon 24-Apr-17 14:54:12

As long as they're covered as soon as they're made they should be ok.

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 24-Apr-17 14:55:26

They should be fine, what type are you making?
I loved the sandwiches at parties when Dd was little, they're the best bit.

Pinkheart5915 Mon 24-Apr-17 14:55:39

Lids on as soon as you've made them in to fridge will be fine

I would Take them out the fridge 15 minutes or so before the buffet starts, hate freezing cold sandwiches personally

Callaway22 Mon 24-Apr-17 14:56:24

I haven't got so far as to think about fillings! Any suggestions. My two are only little so quite new to the whole party buffet thing! Lol.

Pinkheart5915 Mon 24-Apr-17 15:04:20

Do you ave adults & children to feed?

Make whatever you little ones favourite is?

Ham

Cheese

Could do jam

Beef & horseradish ( more for the adults, although my little ds will eat horseradish confused )

Egg mayonnaise

Tuna mayonnaise

Chicken salad

Plain chicken

Cheese & onion

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 24-Apr-17 15:48:57

I'd stick with cheese, ham and jam, so long as you are having other stuff too, it's enough, two year old won't be bothered and adults will be happy hoovering up the leftovers.

Orangedaisy Mon 24-Apr-17 15:51:35

I have read that putting a barely damp paper towel/j cloth in a cling filmed sandwich platter keeps them fresh overnight.... never tried it though.

BasicBetty Mon 24-Apr-17 17:04:59

I remember a programme where Mary Berry made sandwiches way ahead of time and they were fine.

Think she did what *Orangedaisy" said.

BasicBetty Mon 24-Apr-17 17:07:15

Here you go. Scroll half way down the page and the blogger explains MB method.
mummyinahurry.wordpress.com/tag/ice-cream/

AdaColeman Mon 24-Apr-17 17:14:29

Small squares of cold pizza are often more popular with small children than sandwiches, I wouldn't go overboard on sandwiches if I were you.

AtleastitsnotMonday Mon 24-Apr-17 22:57:29

As a student I worked for a catering company that did sandwich platters for kids and adult parties. For kids ham, egg and dairylea were the most popular for adults prawn, egg and coronation chicken, we included grated cheese sandwiches on most platters but these were always the ones left.

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Mon 24-Apr-17 23:27:52

Ham, Dairylea and Marmite were always popular at ours.

MilkRunningOutAgain Tue 25-Apr-17 06:42:16

My birthday party usual was a quarter each of ham, cheese, marmite and jam. Label eat plate clearly. Generally hoovered up by DC and adults. I always loved making birthday party teas!

OhTheRoses Tue 25-Apr-17 06:50:36

I used to use cookie cutters for children's sandwiches. Used to do dairylea and cucumber, ham and cream cheese, and as above, jam. Crisps, cherry tomatoes, strawberries.

How old are the children?

redpriestandmozart Tue 25-Apr-17 11:10:29

Where do you buy the plastic trays?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now