Talk

Advanced search

Sunday lunch but with a twist?

(14 Posts)
FusionChefGeoff Sat 22-Apr-17 09:12:23

PIL coming over tomorrow, what can I cook?? I'm leaning towards a slow cooker casserole something with sides - but that's very boring and I need inspiration!

Want something I can prepare in advance and just forget about.

What's your go to Sunday lunch that's not a roast???

AlcoholAndIrony Sat 22-Apr-17 09:20:34

Welsh rarebit and a gammon joint. You can do the gammon joint in the slow cooker if you want.

Or put your casserole in a giant Yorkshire pudding

AlcoholAndIrony Sat 22-Apr-17 09:21:02

Personally though, I make a big curry and lots of sides.

AtleastitsnotMonday Sat 22-Apr-17 09:39:52

Beef bougenon
Chicken in red wine
Beef Wellington
Salmon en croute
Stuffed and roasted butternut squash

FusionChefGeoff Sat 22-Apr-17 09:50:40

We had a lot of curry in the week (made a huge batch!) otherwise that would be a great idea but I'm a bit curried out.

I'm liking the gammon idea - any other idea for 'fancy' sides to jazz it up a bit??

FusionChefGeoff Sat 22-Apr-17 09:55:27

@AlcoholAndIrony I've never done Welsh Raerbit - but understand it's cheesey sauce on toast? So would you do toast with it or just the cheesey sauce??

QuiteLikely5 Sat 22-Apr-17 10:02:21

What about a M&S lasagne with garlic bread and coleslaw to serve as a side

MrsPnut Sat 22-Apr-17 10:09:37

This is my go to recipe for summer entertaining. I serve it with roasted new potatoes, salad and bread. www.nigella.com/recipes/slow-roasted-garlic-and-lemon-chicken

PurpleDaisies Sat 22-Apr-17 10:11:17

Jamie Oliver's hunter's chicken stew is delicious. I add sausages and serve it with green veg and mash.

BrieAndChilli Sat 22-Apr-17 10:15:14

Fish pie
Cottage pie
Greek slow baked lamb
Lasagne
Nice big pie

AlcoholAndIrony Sat 22-Apr-17 10:22:11

BBC good food is your friend. That's where I got the Welsh rarebit recipe. Tbf you could have that as a side if you wanted.

I like gammon and cider. Yum.

Winterc00kie Sat 22-Apr-17 10:28:47

Coca cola gammon with creamed leeks and cauliflower, roast potatoes, carrott mash and parsnips.... And I may have to through in Yorkshire's for the hell of it! Xx

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 22-Apr-17 10:39:04

I did some lamb on the bone in the slow cooker with zumac, stock, onions, garlic, apricots, almond flakes and a little bit of preserved lemon paste the other day. It was delicious. I added fresh parsley at the end.

Otherwise I sometimes do duck confit or pan fried duck with a fruity sauce (orange, cherry or apple all popular here).

Sausages in a mustard, apple and creme fraiche sauce.

Individual pies (look much smarter than one big one) with filling. Chicken and bacon, chicken and mushroom, steak and kidney are my favourites. Make filling and stick on circle of ready made puff.

Chicken thighs deboned stuffed with Boursin and a sage leaf wrapped in streaky bacon and baked in the oven.

For anything without sauce and an absence of carbs I almost always do a potato delphinois. Otherwise boiled new potatoes with garlic, butter and parsley are nice. Roasted carrots are easy.

FusionChefGeoff Sun 23-Apr-17 20:58:10

The gammon in coke was a winner!!! Thanks everyone - I've also got a great list to work through for the next few months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now