Talk

Advanced search

Steak and No- Kidney Pie

(6 Posts)
TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Fri 21-Apr-17 19:46:01

Just had a (supposedly) Steak & Kidney pie from the chippy. It was a Pukka Pie.

There was no kidney in it. There was a hint of kidney about the flavour but it must have been chopped up so small it was barely detectable.

I've been finding this a lot over the last few years - can't remember the last time I had a pie like the ones I had growing up, with big chunks of kidney. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but does anybody know where those of us who love it can get a decent S&K pie?

skyzumarubble Fri 21-Apr-17 19:49:37

Urgh not for me but I would imagine the pukka pies have about as much kidney as the do actual meat - hardly any. My dad used to like the ones from M&S I have no idea if they still do them. Could you make your own?

PurpleDaisies Fri 21-Apr-17 19:50:55

I get mine from our local butcher. They're fantastic with big chunks of kidney.

MongerTruffle Fri 21-Apr-17 19:54:45

Most of the ones I've had recently have had kidney beans instead of kidney.

PurpleDaisies Fri 21-Apr-17 19:56:27

I've never had a steak and kidney bean pie. I'd be so disappointed if mine came with kidney beans not kidney. confused

TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Fri 21-Apr-17 20:40:24

Kidney beans??? Really? That's pretty depressing. It seems real kidney has become so rare and unpopular that manufacturers now think it means something else entirely 😟

Great idea about local butchers though, Purple. I'll try ours...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now