Talk

Advanced search

Easily transportable vegetarian dinner recipes please

(13 Posts)
evilgiraffe Fri 21-Apr-17 10:59:32

A friend of mine has recently found out that her mum has cancer - it's a type that is treatable but not curable, so the whole family has of course been knocked for six. I'd like to take my friend dinner, to help her look after herself as a lot of her energy is going into supporting her parents.

My go-to recipes for this sort of thing are beef lasagne and cottage pie, but as my friend is vegetarian they are obviously unsuitable! Similar type dinners that I can provide in a disposable dish for her to just warm and eat, or freeze would be great.

Thank you smile

Whywaitfortomorrow Fri 21-Apr-17 11:06:53

What a thoughtful friend you are evil.

If your friend eats Quorn mince then you can make lasagne and pie with that and if not, then green or brown lentils with vegetables also work. Or just veggie lasagne.

Curries and dahls travel and store well and she can just warm up and have with some naan bread/pitta/rice.

Anything with pastry also works, mushroom and leek or feta/sweet potato/spinach - pies always freeze well and can be cooked in 20 mins.

You can also make up some tasty pasta sauces which can be kept in fridge or freezer.

SugarMiceInTheRain Fri 21-Apr-17 11:10:41

Lentil Moussaka, reheats just as well as lasagne.

Or a kit for making quick vegetable fajitas - the filling, separate pots with cheese/ sour cream/ salad/ salsa and of course wraps.

Bean chilli with already baked jacket potatoes which can just be warmed in the microwave.

ChuffCloud Fri 21-Apr-17 11:47:27

Veggie lasagne, can be with quorn though I prefer it with lots of veg instead, onion, pepper, leeks, courgette, mushrooms and sweet corn

Macaroni cheese may be an option too or a pasta bake

Sunshineandlaughter Fri 21-Apr-17 11:54:18

Roasted veg lasagne

Quorn cottage pie

Red bean moussaka

Veggie quiche

lastqueenofscotland Fri 21-Apr-17 14:08:21

Soups freeze well
Dahl

Sweepingchange Fri 21-Apr-17 14:17:51

www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/vegan-shepherd-s-pie/

These bags from Lakeland are good for transporting and freezing soups www.lakeland.co.uk/10914/20-Soup-'n'-Sauce-Press-Seal-Clear-Freezer-Storage-Bags---1L (Can recommend several butter nut squash and leek and potatoe recipes).

Lots of good recipes on-line for beany pulse type casseroles (flavour usually improves next day) with carrots, parsnips turnips etc etc. Also good mushroom and butter bean one here.

Speaking of butter beans, this is a good Greek recipe www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/12229/gigantes-plaki

Spicy chickpea curry here

or veggie vindaloo here

The real Nigella also does a good golden root veg casserole thing with cous cous.

Cornishblues Fri 21-Apr-17 19:08:10

Lentil lasagne, or quiche or new potato salad? Or quorn chilli and a tub of guacamole. Lovely of you.

viques Fri 21-Apr-17 19:11:02

Google dragon pie. Delicious, does not contain dragon.

viques Fri 21-Apr-17 19:12:29

Sorry red dragon pie

Longdistance Fri 21-Apr-17 19:19:42

Spanish omelette
Veggie lasagna
Cauliflower/broccoli cheese
Lentil Dahl

evilgiraffe Fri 21-Apr-17 21:14:45

Wow so many ideas! Thank you everyone, these are great. Veggie/lentil lasagne are certainly within my comfort zone, I might do one of those and something a bit more unfamiliar too. The moussaka and bean-based recipes could work well, I know she likes both of those.

Crumbs1 Fri 21-Apr-17 21:19:01

Simple pasta bake
Veggie curry and rice
Veggie chilli and rice
Root veg hot pot with dumplings
Macaroni cheese
Biryani

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now