Self catering holiday meal ideas?

(11 Posts)
DungballInADress Mon 17-Apr-17 17:05:46

Not sure whether to put this here or on a caravan type board. We go on a Self catering holiday in tiny eco-hut every year. Teeny galley kitchen, minimal fridge storage, limited utensils etc. Four of us, me (eat everything apart from prawns), DH (meat and chips with everything) DS1 (eats most stuff, picky over veg, salad and rice) DS2 (if its not pasta or processed pork don't even try)

I get a grocery shop delivered the day we arrive, inevitably we end up in the supermarket at least 3-4 times so am trying to minimise that because its really expensive boring. I usually do an indian type night, chicken and chips, italian (either pizza or shop bought ravioli) and we will eat out one night. Then it gets a bit tricky. BBQ doesn't really work, DH is hit and miss with mexican and will get an idea in his head and thats it we have to eat that.

Any ideas gratefully received!

Rshard Mon 17-Apr-17 17:39:13

When we've done a trip like this, I've taken down a homemade lasagne. Heated it back up there usually on the first night when everyone's tired and hungry. Would that work?

AtleastitsnotMonday Mon 17-Apr-17 17:41:32

Toad in the hole or sausage casserole
Chicken and chorizo tray bake
Chicken skewers
Burgers and wedges
Jacket potatoes with a selection of toppings
What do you usually eat at home? It sounds like a lot of clashing dislikes.

Helenluvsrob Mon 17-Apr-17 17:44:36

You are doing too much ! Take a big lasagne ready to warm up , a pot of frozen curry or something out of the freezer and eat lots of crusty bread and cheese/ ham / bits of this and that.

Make sure you eat out of have fish and chips/ pizza/ takeaway too.

Sgtmajormummy Mon 17-Apr-17 17:48:35

I make a mixed "All Day Breakfast" (eggs and sausages plus whatever's still in the fridge and can't be taken for lunch on the journey back) on the last night when we do self catering.
And a couple of pouches of 90 second quinoa are good for bulking out a dinner without having to go to the shops.
However, my catering on holiday is very low input!

LiveLifeWithPassion Mon 17-Apr-17 17:52:27

When you cook the Indian meal, can you cook enough to have another portion later in the week?
It'll keep in the fridge for a couple of days or freeze it.

When you do chicken and chips, do extra chicken and have with some pasta and pesto.

Cod from freezer with chips.

DungballInADress Mon 17-Apr-17 17:52:55

atleast it is. Meal times are my nemesis. Inevitably I will end up doing one meal for the children and one meal for us once theyve gone to bed. This is fine at the weekend but during the week its hard (I work full time, DH works long hours and doesnt cook). We both do Slimming World but wont while on holiday, DC's often eat SW meals but with full fat cheese etc added for fat soluble vitamins.

Taking a lasagne might work if I make it the weekend before and freeze it.

Jacket potatoes or chicken skewers could work. Toad in the hole is my nemesis, I always end up with sausage cake.

AtleastitsnotMonday Mon 17-Apr-17 18:42:29

Will you have a freezer?

Highlove Mon 17-Apr-17 18:59:23

I'd do a lot of picnic-type dinners: good bread, nice cheese, cold meat, pork pies, pate, bit of salad, etc. That way you cater for everyone without too much faffing. Depending where you are you can probably pick up some nice local specialities. Delicious. We often have a good few dinners like this when we're self-catering.

Sausages, baked beans and wedges. Or even just good bread and butter.

I often cook and piece of gammon before we go and you can go loads of ways with that - as with jackets and salad/pasta/part of picnic tea/etc.

DungballInADress Mon 17-Apr-17 19:01:57

No freezer. Small 12v fridge, gas hob/oven/grill, no microwave.

Heathen4Hire Mon 17-Apr-17 19:07:20

We rely on salad with quiche/tart/pizza/pie etc. We might have some fresh veg. Baked beans, tinned fruit, cooked meats also feature.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now