Talk

Advanced search

Please what fancy desert can I make with these things?

(18 Posts)
margaritasbythesea Thu 13-Apr-17 15:16:31

I am stuck at home with poorly children, foodie guests arriving tomorrow and the ingredients below.

four eggs
half a bag of SR flour
a decent amount of oats
rubbish milk chocolate
pistachios
honey
half a pack of butter
some UHT cream (don't ask)
granulated sugar
oranges
bananas

I only have one square cake tin, baking sheet and a shallow pie dish available.

I can think of simple, hearty things that I make with the children but I can't think of anything sophis and tasty for adults apart from pistachio truffles - but with rubbish cream and chocolate.

p.s. I can get out tomorrow to buy things for a main course but I would really like not to be scrambling too much at the last minute so want to get ahead with the pud.

MoMandaS Thu 13-Apr-17 15:22:41

A sort of chocolate orange trifle/tiramusu? Make plain sponge, cut it up, make a ganache flavoured with orange zest, layer with oranges and top with custard (assuming you have milk).

meg54 Thu 13-Apr-17 15:26:01

You could make a giant jaffa cake if you had some orange jelly or gelatine.

AdaColeman Thu 13-Apr-17 15:28:08

Baked bananas with the chocolate, serve with the cream and scatter pistachios and drizzle honey.

If you have vanilla ice cream, chopped bananas fried gently in butter with honey and sugar, seve hot over the ice cream.

If you have any brandy, rum,sherry, or liqueur, peel the oranges carefully with a sharp knife slice thinly and marinade overnight in the booze and some honey, serve chilled with the juice and some cream on the side, naice biscuits if you have some.

Joinourclub Thu 13-Apr-17 15:30:59

Do you have ramekins? For individual banana and chocolate crumbles.

margaritasbythesea Thu 13-Apr-17 16:11:21

I quite ike the trifle idea - although the foodies are from the UK and we're not in the Uk so itfeels a bit silly making trifle.

No orange jam and no ramekins, booze (except for vodka) or jam - although I do have strawberry jam.

Thanks for your ideas. Not yet decided.

AtleastitsnotMonday Thu 13-Apr-17 17:05:20

Any tinned or frozen fruit by any chance?

MoMandaS Thu 13-Apr-17 18:40:35

'Screwdriver' cranachan?

acornsandnuts Thu 13-Apr-17 18:43:18

Chocolate orange meringue Roulade

margaritasbythesea Thu 13-Apr-17 19:35:18

No no tinned fruit I'm afraid Atleastitsnot

MoMandaS - ~I would probably get originality brownie points for that one! My kids have been ratbags all day though so I am now drinking said vodka as I have put them to bed.

Roulade - now that's a possibility I like. I am going to google.

margaritasbythesea Thu 13-Apr-17 19:51:10

Gah - I forgot most of the people I am cooking for hate cream as cream (although ok as mousse etc)

Liara Thu 13-Apr-17 19:57:28

make some sablées, then make up a dessert with sablés, pistachios, honey and some vanilla ice cream (if you can buy that tomorrow)

acornsandnuts Thu 13-Apr-17 20:13:54

Re the roulade - Make orange curd with the egg yolks to fill it and serve cream on the side for those who want it.

KickAssAngel Thu 13-Apr-17 20:38:14

Do pistachios go with oranges & honey? Orange roulade, with crushed pistachios in the orange curd, and then drizzle the top with honey.

SoftSheen Thu 13-Apr-17 20:40:27

With those ingredients, I would attempt to make a pistachio, orange and honey cake, served with honeyed orange segments, toasted pistachios and ideally, some good vanilla ice-cream.

zzzzz Thu 13-Apr-17 20:43:18

Pistachio soufflé with a scented orange and honey drizzle.

An eat the chocolate with a cup of tea while you don't make their bedsgrin

margaritasbythesea Thu 13-Apr-17 21:52:16

Orange curd sounds gorgeous. I've made a meringue base and a sort of pistachio paste ( not quite sure why) and am now leaving it until the morning. Too tired.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will have to wing it based on them in the morning.

margaritasbythesea Thu 13-Apr-17 21:53:06

Pistachio paste with honey and butter btw

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now