Talk

Advanced search

Steak Virgin

(6 Posts)
HairsprayBabe Wed 12-Apr-17 13:38:57

Please help.

I don't eat meat, and have never eaten a steak. I have no problem cooking other meat I just have never gotten round to cooking steak.

For reasons beyond me I am stupid and agreed to it without thinking I am cooking steak on Friday. I don't really want to change my plans plus I like a challenge and am generally handy in the kitchen.

I am planning on doing this >>> www.nigella.com/recipes/steak-slice-with-lemon-and-thyme recipe.

The people who will be eating it are "looking forwards to it".

How badly can I fuck it up? Will the instructions work? Has anyone any advice for a steak virgin!?

MusicToMyEars800 Wed 12-Apr-17 13:44:04

you can't really go wrong with steak, my advice would be to use a non stick griddle pan and brush the steak with oil don't oil the pan, also let the steak come to room temp before cooking and let it rest in a warm place for at least 5 mins, I have my steak rare so cook it for 2 mins on each side depending on the thickness of the steak. Oh and make sure the pan is really hot before putting the steaks in, I cook all my steaks like this and they come out perfect every time.

MusicToMyEars800 Wed 12-Apr-17 13:44:46

let it rest for at least 5 mins after cooking that should've said

BizzyFizzy Wed 12-Apr-17 13:47:40

The Nigella recipe looks like a bit of a faff.

My steak is seasoned with some kind of steak seasoning (Barberian is what I have on the go at the moment), and then I fry for 3 minutes a side (rare).

HairsprayBabe Wed 12-Apr-17 13:50:35

It goes with everything else I am making so I am sticking with it. I like the look of the thin slices, I might even try a little bit of it!

I don't mind a faff if the flavour is worth it grin

BlueChairs Wed 12-Apr-17 13:54:25

I'm an excellent cook but for some reason steak is the one thing I just can't get right. If you google timings I usually take 30secs off the instructions for each side or else it becomes overdone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now