Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions for a good cookery book....

(14 Posts)
foxychox Sat 08-Apr-17 20:59:39

.... for DH as he will be taking over all the cooking in 6 weeks time! I don't doubt he can do it but he needs a book with pretty easy recipes that are suitable for us (fairly foody adventurous) and the DC (frankly a bit picky). Any thoughts MNetters please?

Cakescakescakes Sat 08-Apr-17 21:00:35

Nigel Slater 'Eat' - lovely food and not too complicated.

brexitschmexit Sat 08-Apr-17 21:04:40

Mary Berry Everyday is also good!

Blondie1984 Sun 09-Apr-17 00:16:57

Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food is a really good one for for people with a bit less experience -he will learn more skills and there's a good mix of recipes - things that are quick vs ones that take a bit longer as well as things that are more / less adventurous

Nearlyadoctor Sun 09-Apr-17 18:18:06

Was also coming on to suggest Jamie's Ministry of food!

stilllovingmysleep Sun 09-Apr-17 18:31:57

I second ministry of food. I also would recommend Nigella Lawson's original book "how to eat" which is lovely and talks you through it all.

foxychox Mon 10-Apr-17 06:53:00

Thank you!! Will go and check these out smile

BasicBetty Tue 11-Apr-17 13:29:12

Jo Pratt's Madhouse family cookbook is good.

I also like Allegra McEvedy Big Table Busy Kitchen.

JO Ministry of Food is great!

Gusthetheatrecat Sat 15-Apr-17 22:38:29

I love the 'my daddy cooks' recipe books by Nick Coffey (Coffrey? Brain fog, sorry). Really good, unpretentious, family food. Simple recipes without being boring, and no outlandish ingredients. I have a huge recipe book collection but come back to these books v often.

cheerylilthing Sat 15-Apr-17 22:53:00

One Pound Meals - simple recipes, not too many ingredients, varied cuisines & good for portion control. It's the best £5 I've spent & our most used cookbook. They have an Instagram & YouTube too but I find the book is much easier.

Toadinthehole Sun 16-Apr-17 07:03:28

Appetite by Nigel Slater, perhaps a bit old now. Simple recipes, lots of pictures, explanations about why something is nice, and also suggestions about how to stuff around with each recipe. I leaned to cook properly from that book.

FrenchLavender Sun 16-Apr-17 07:13:37

All Nigel Slaters books are good for simple, unpretentious and quick weekday meals that don't have ingredients lists as long as your arm, or require too many obscure or faded ingredients.

Most of Nigella and Jamie's are also suitable. If you like Indian then Made in India and Fresh India by Meera Sodha are fantastic books, they simplify and demystify Indian food and everything is delicious.

BakedBeeeen Sun 16-Apr-17 07:14:43

"My daddy cooks" sounds very patronising!

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Sun 16-Apr-17 07:18:38

I'm really enjoying Mary Berry Absolute Favourites. Quite trad, but I like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now