Talk

Advanced search

Lambs liver....does this sound ok??

(6 Posts)
maddiemookins16mum Wed 05-Apr-17 18:19:30

For a while DP has been suggesting liver for our evening meal. I have horrendous school dinner 1975 nightmares of grey, dry liver served with lumpy mash and a scoop of turnip.

However, I did once have the most lovely liver and bacon with posh mash in a bistro pub with heavenly gravy.

DP and I were out at the weekend and popped into a farm shop and picked up a few things including this liver for tea tomorrow night. DP is saying casserole, my stomach is saying coat in flour, flash fry and serve with mash, carrots and Savoy cabbage with onions/bacon and gravy. I have no idea where to start.
Any tips??

cdtaylornats Wed 05-Apr-17 20:51:56

I take lardons, render them down. Fry onions in the bacon fat. Slice the liver to bite size pieces, coat in seasoned flour (salt, pepper, paprika) and stir fry in the pan with the other stuff.

I sometimes fry red pepper with it as well or do a green vegetable.

Either mash or chips as well.

4merlyknownasSHD Thu 06-Apr-17 10:16:09

MM16, I would go with the "Flash-Fry" after coating in flour. To my mind it still needs to be pink in the middle (not blood-dripping red) and it will still be tender.
Do the bacon/lardons first so that you have some bacon fat in the bottom of the pan, then flash-fry the liver. I agree with your serving suggestion of mash and cabbage. I probably wouldn't bother with the carrots, nor the gravy as it should still be moist.

Wordsaremything Thu 06-Apr-17 19:03:57

Agree not carrots. Sage goes well with liver, and you could caramelise some onions and add a splash of balsamic, to go with. Do NOT casserole it! grin

cdtaylornats Thu 06-Apr-17 21:33:09

You could make faggots, nice onion gravy and mash, cabbage

yikesanotherbooboo Thu 06-Apr-17 21:44:19

If not too late google hairy bikers liver and bacon... it works v well with mash and peas/ broad beans... it or a variant of it is a favourite family meal here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now