Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to want a VEGAN food programme on TV?

(19 Posts)
Restorativepowersoftea Thu 30-Mar-17 23:00:43

So this is my AIBU on the food board (so as not to be flamed on the real AIBU board!) after being inspired by the vegan "what's for dinner" thread on MN and watching Come Dine With Me at the same time and wishing there was a mainstream tv programme that could help demystify vegan everyday home cooking. I think many, if not all, new vegans really struggle to know what to cook and it's so easy to get stuck in a rut (mine is currently rice and vegetables or dahl). I'm also gluten free and soya free due to endometriosis, so really do feel very restricted sometimes.

GreyStars Thu 30-Mar-17 23:12:05

Google it, there are some great vegan recipes

GreyStars Thu 30-Mar-17 23:12:55

Or look at this thread

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/food_and_recipes/2884751-Vegan-whats-for-dinner-thread

RedBugMug Thu 30-Mar-17 23:14:55

I would like to see more vegetarian and vegan and allergy aware cooking on masterchef and the like.
it's all a bit meat&2veg kind of stuff (if a bit fancier looking)

Given how many channels there are, hosting millions of hours of tv, I don't think it is at all unreasonable to want a vegan cookery programme.

TwentyCups Thu 30-Mar-17 23:16:05

I would love one but not sure if mainstream TV is ready yet. I do wish more TV chefs would include vegan dishes on their websites and in their books though.

RunRabbitRunRabbit Thu 30-Mar-17 23:18:18

Go on then, plan it, pitch it.

I'm not vegan but if you say you got encouragement from the vipers, I'll watch it.

Restorativepowersoftea Thu 30-Mar-17 23:38:20

Thanks GreyStars, I know how to google hmm and yes, there are loads of recipes online and on YouTube but there is nothing on mainstream tv. There are so many people turning to veganism for ethical, environmental and health reasons and vegan food is sold in supermarkets and served in restaurants, and even advertised on tv (soy and almond milk products) so why is mainstream tv so slow to catch up? I think there was a baker on bake off who claimed to be a 'vegan' baker but that soon petered out and he baked with eggs and butter confused

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Thu 30-Mar-17 23:38:47

Aw yeah I'm in. I'd call it 'The Accidental Vegan' and it would be all the secret vegan stuff I feed to DH - he thinks I just have a veggie night once a week.

But there would be no meat substitutes in it because that is Not The Point.

Crunchyside Thu 30-Mar-17 23:41:30

I'm not a vegan but I'd watch it!

There are much more niche and random things on TV... Pottery throw down, documentaries about Tube workers, obscure history programmes etc. Can't see why there wouldn't be a vegan or at least vegetarian cooking show.

ShatnersBassoon Thu 30-Mar-17 23:45:03

I'd rather have the odd vegan recipe thrown in to regular shows. Like what happens already, but they usually call it a side dish.

I had a specifically vegan panang curry today in a café. I honestly think I'd have enjoyed it more if it hadn't been called that because it felt like I was endorsing veganism when I ordered it.

DingDongtheWitchIsDangDiddlyDe Thu 30-Mar-17 23:51:02

There isn't a mainstream vegan cooking show because vegan isn't mainstream. If there were a market for it, there would be one. It's 1% of the population.

Restorativepowersoftea Fri 31-Mar-17 09:37:58

But like Crunchy said, there are loads of programmes about really niche topics and human interests. Veganism is a growing lifestyle choice and could, if given a chance, be better for the environment, our economy and our health. It would be a win win to have it mainstream to reach more people and demystify.

GreyStars Fri 31-Mar-17 12:52:35

I wasn't being rude to you, certainly didn't mean to be and I didn't include the link to the other thread and hit post by accident.

I also missed that there had been something on the Simon Mayo radio 2 show yesterday interviewing a lady who has just launched a new cookbook which may have been interesting for you.

But thank you for being rude to me when I was trying to s helpful by posting a link thinking you wanted some recipe ideas.

puddingpen Fri 31-Mar-17 13:01:52

What are meat substitutes Lonny? I'm trying to slip more vegan meals into my diet. I'm not a Quorn chicken style nuggets fan or Linda McCartney sausage fan, but tofu is often used as a meat subsitute and I love that. Where do you draw the line? I love homemade vegi burgers (black bean/sweet potato and courgette/mushroom and nut), but if they are burgers are they meat substitutes? I also quite like the dried soya mince (TVP). It's a bi-product of soya oil and I feel it's quite borderline as it's often marketed as a meat substitute but it's not necessarily made as one...

Restorativepowersoftea Fri 31-Mar-17 13:15:45

I wasn't rude to you GreyStars. You told me to google and look at a thread that I referred to in my opening post. I told you that I know how to google and thanked you for that unhelpful suggestion. In my opinion, you were rude and did not add anything constructive to this thread unlike everyone else who kept the discussion to the relevant topic of a vegan tv programme on mainstream tv and whether they like the idea or not. Anyway, I've just realised that you and I have now clashed on 2 threads in less than a day, so I have nothing further to say to you other than the fact that we are obviously very different people and I don't have the energy to talk at cross purposes even on an Internet forum. So I wish you well and will avoid and not engage with you from now on.

brassbrass Fri 31-Mar-17 13:31:10

There's a niche for it isn't there? I'd welcome it for sure. Would you tolerate vegetarians or should it be vegans only?

AndKnowItsSeven Fri 31-Mar-17 13:33:48

You were rude op.

Jaagojaago Fri 31-Mar-17 17:03:08

What the actual fuck OP????

I was going on reading interestedly not even noticing a rude post till your eyeroll. Nobody was rude to you - it was literally what it was - a link and google recipes!

Christ. If you've decided to read things into electronic writing sure do but that doesn't mean those things have actually been meant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now