Talk

Advanced search

Teenage feeding

(13 Posts)
Frazzled74 Thu 30-Mar-17 00:38:33

The teenagers in my house are eating me out of house and home, but it's all the rubbish foods that they are eating, crisps, biscuits etc. I'm going to get rid of the goody cupboard as its all getting a bit excessive, but I don't want them to starve. How do you feed hungry teenagers in your houses? I would like some healthyish snack ideas please.

Blondie1984 Thu 30-Mar-17 02:23:25

Yoghurt - ideally natural ones that they can then add fruit to but it might be a case of 'weaning' them off gradually

Dips like hummus, salsa, or cream cheese with pitta bread, rice cakes etc

Homemade popcorn

Cereal

Babybel

Homemade cake - like banana bread or malt loaf

Peanut butter on toast

Oh and obviously fruit (apples, bananas, satsuma) and veg (carrots, cherry tomatoes etc)

Why not get them to take turns baking healthy snacks for the week - like banana oat muffins, flapjack etc

hellokittymania Thu 30-Mar-17 02:41:05

When I learned to cook, I love to eat what I made. There are some healthy breakfast cookies you can make with oats, banana, cinnamon, raisins or chocolate chips and a few other ingredients. They taste really good and if you add a few chocolate chips or honey or something else they might forget that they are not the store-bought cookies.

I like the plain yogurt idea and toppings like strawberries or mango. You could also try honey and banana as toppings. I still don't like boring fruits like apples and pears and other things. What about vanilla yogurt and fruit or even The corner yogurts or you can add chocolate balls or strawberry or cherry?

Also not a 100% healthy idea but what about fruit and dip's like Caramell or chocolate, Nutella etc. as somebody else said. Wean them gradually. I was an extremely picky teenager and although I eat quite a lot now I still have my preferences

Babybel and string cheese .

Ants on a log or hedgehogs. Ants on a log is peanut butter or cream cheese on a celery stick with raisins on top.

Homemade Bombay mix with seeds, nuts, chocolate chips, bits of a cake or some other cracker or pretzels

Frazzled74 Thu 30-Mar-17 13:42:24

Thanks , home baking is a good idea. They used to love fruit and veg and now only seem to want it if it's in a smoothie.

AtleastitsnotMonday Thu 30-Mar-17 14:18:55

When you say healthy, is that just not processed rubbish or are you concerned about weight gain? Are their meals big enough? Are they snacking because they're hungry or because they're bored?
If it's just the usual teenage grazing
Savoury muffins, cheese scones, savoury flapjack
Roasted chickpeas
Home made sweet potato crisps
Slices of cold fritata
Hard boiled eggs
Banana pancakes
Milkshakes
Nuts and seeds
Cheese and crackers rice cakes

ErrolTheDragon Thu 30-Mar-17 18:01:07

Frozen fruit, including banana slices, whizzed in a food processor with greek yog to make instant 'icecream'?
They might prefer proper cheese to kiddie stuff - mine does, with good crispbreads (dr karg).

If they're really hungry, a panini press or toastie maker can enable them to make a more substantial snack for themselves.

Frazzled74 Thu 30-Mar-17 20:41:22

I think it's normal teenage grazing, they are active and I'm not worried about weight gain, they are like rakes! A panini press is a great idea .

ErrolTheDragon Fri 31-Mar-17 13:00:12

I keep a supply of paninis in the freezer - I precut them as they can go a bit squishy for cutting when defrosted in the microwave, and also usually have some sliced cheese. The panini press is a breville with plain flat plates, which is much better nonstick and easier to clean than the toastie maker which preceded it. My DD feigns domestic incompetence but even she can't pretend not to be able to manage that.grin

GeorgeTheHamster Fri 31-Mar-17 13:03:51

Mine live on toast and cornflakes for snacks, both quite cheap.

Stop buying the crisps and biscuits, obviously they will eat those first.

I've given up on fruit, they just ignore it.

AtleastitsnotMonday Fri 31-Mar-17 14:06:13

Bagels and cream cheese make a filling snack

MilkRunningOutAgain Sat 01-Apr-17 09:01:02

My bottomless pit DS also has toast and cereal, & then more toast & cereal. Oh, and tins of rice pudding! He won't eat additional fruit & I'm afraid neither he nor I have the inclination to make anything special.

booellesmum Sat 01-Apr-17 09:03:43

In our house they snack on
Cereal
Toast
Peanut butter
Biscoff spread
Nuts
Grapes
Hard boiled eggs
Brioche rolls

Astro55 Sat 01-Apr-17 09:09:51

We have yogurt
Sweet breads
Cheese crackers
Crisps
Banana bread
They also live bread pudding
Toasties
Biscuits

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now