Talk

Advanced search

Best place to buy frozen prawns

(14 Posts)
TheSteveMilliband Wed 29-Mar-17 19:10:10

Have a 🍤 ❓Prawns are one of those easy keep in the freezer foods, and usually try to get them when they are on offer at the supermarket (the raw ones) though they still end up being quite expensive. I've seen them in Costco and the Chinese supermarket in big bags and keep meaning to work out the cost, but am always in a rush and worried that without timing properly they might defrost on way home! Does anyone buy them in bulk from these places? Or is Aldi good for prawns?

Kiroro Thu 30-Mar-17 18:38:38

Tesco everyday value prawns are £9.60/KG - and I haven't seen a better price than that.

puddingpen Fri 31-Mar-17 12:15:53

Don't know about Aldi I'm afraid. We love the Tesco value ones but they are already cooked. I have never found frozen raw 'ordinary' prawns but we also love the frozen tiger prawns which are raw and in their shells. We get them from Tesco or Iceland. Iceland ones are a tiny bit cheaper but there is really hardly anything in it.

BertrandRussell Fri 31-Mar-17 12:18:43

Aldi is excellent for prawns.

PestoSwimissimos Fri 31-Mar-17 12:46:21

Costco

Dexterslab Fri 31-Mar-17 13:29:41

I buy the aldi ready cooked 'specially selected' ones and they are great!

QuimReaper Fri 31-Mar-17 13:54:58

Watching with interest! I generally only buy the jumbo ones, they've been staggeringly expensive the last few years though. There was a huge shortage due to some kind of virus or something affecting them, and the supply still hasn't recovered.

sunnytoday Fri 31-Mar-17 14:14:59

Coop do some really great ones and often on deal.

Eatingcheeseontoast Fri 31-Mar-17 14:19:06

The ones in the big bags stay frozen for quite a while - I'd say certainly an hour or so as long its not a blazing hot day. If you could be organised enough to have a small cool bag with you all the better.

Not sure about the ethics of buying them though...https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2016/oct/07/cheap-seafood-fish-slavery-solutions-thailand-human-rights-abuse

Weedsnseeds1 Fri 31-Mar-17 14:19:56

I buy from the Chinese cash and carry when I can as they are cheaper. Make sure you get IQF ones though as they also sell ones frozen in a block of water, then you have to defrost the whole lot! Farm Foods also do quite nice raw tiger prawns and they are often in their 3 for £10 offer and if you get the mo eyes off vouchers through the door you can bulk buy and get a fiver off too.

MrsJaniceBattersby Fri 31-Mar-17 15:55:34

I get mine from the fishmonger
About £18 a box

TheSteveMilliband Sat 01-Apr-17 13:40:27

Fabulous, thanks everyone. Got some raw king prawns from Aldi, though had to rummage a bit to find the raw ones - £13.83/kg so will try them. And will think ahead next Costco trip too...haven't seen "ethically sourced" ones, is there such a thing?

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 01-Apr-17 13:53:29

I pretty certain farmed freshwater prawns aren't going to be ethically sourced! The smaller, cooked, saltwater ones might be MSC certificated though.

Licketysplits Sat 01-Apr-17 13:59:38

Waitrose and Asda both do bags of frozen raw tiger prawns, no shells. Not sure about the prices per kg tho

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now