Talk

Advanced search

Where and how to buy tasty fruit and vegetables

(16 Posts)
HobblingHelen Sun 26-Mar-17 21:31:31

I find a lot of the fruit and vegetables I buy from supermarkets in the UK to be quite bland and I've heard various reasons for this (e.g. supermarkets choosing varieties that look good and travel well/last longer rather than ones that taste the best). Does anyone have any tips on buying tastier fruit and vegetables?

Does fruit/veg that is actually in season taste better or does that not make a difference? Should I look for UK grown fruit/veg? Are there any varieties that you can recommend that taste better? Does organic taste better?

Do you find that local independent shops tend to stock better tasting fruit and veg? Unfortunately, there aren't any regular farmers' markets near me.

sems Sun 26-Mar-17 21:32:47

For fruit Sainsbury's always excels for me. Lidl for veg

Blondie1984 Mon 27-Mar-17 01:00:03

As far as I can I try and just buy British fruit & veg and so that means eating according to the seasons - it isn't always possible (e.g. when you crave strawberries in January!) but every little helps!

I don't find that organic necessarily means that it tastes better

NewBallsPlease00 Mon 27-Mar-17 01:06:00

Buy in season and fruit that is as local as possible (ie uk/then Europe/then far away) travel time is one of main factors in how presented and natural it is rather than pick chill freeze chill present

JonesyAndTheSalad Mon 27-Mar-17 01:10:23

I moved to Australia last year, to a small rural town. Some friends from England arrived a few days ago to visit us and they have commented a lot on the fruit and veg.

It's all seasonal here as we don't live near a supermarket...so we visit the farmer's market weekly. It's the start of Autumn here so there are a lot of apples, plums, grapes, late tomatoes etc and lots more.

They've commented on how strong the tomatoes taste and how uneven and bumpy the apples are but also how delicious they all are.

It really makes a difference. Grow what you can yourself and if you can, shop at the farmer's market.

TinklyLittleLaugh Mon 27-Mar-17 11:42:26

We are fortunate to have an excellent farm shop nearby. They stock a lot of locally grown produce and I think even the imported stuff benefits from not being kept in an overchilled environment.

We grow lots of fruit ourselves (strawberries, raspberries, gooseberries, rhubarb) all low maintenance stuff and easily frozen.

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 27-Mar-17 16:08:32

Local greengrocers if you can, or markets, if not then the finest versions from supermarkets.

Renaissance2017 Mon 27-Mar-17 16:15:37

Try to get an allotment. Just the right time to get a decent crop going for this year.

Until you've had sweet corn straight from the plot or tomatoes from your greenhouse, you haven't lived!

HobblingHelen Mon 27-Mar-17 18:14:47

Thanks for the suggestions.

ToBeAChadsman Mon 27-Mar-17 18:18:16

Have you looked into veg boxes? We use Riverford and really enjoy the fruit and veg we get. There may be veg box providers local to you as well as the national ones.

FormerlyFrikadela01 Mon 27-Mar-17 18:18:51

Buy in season and buy British is the best bet. I find farm shops a bit hit and miss to be honest. Unless the farm grows the veg themselves then try have to buy it from somewhere and there's one near me that sources a lot of their veg from the same producers as the supermarkets yet they charge more for it.

Frouby Mon 27-Mar-17 18:21:55

I usually shop at aldi and can't complain about the stuff. But do find M and S is far fresher and tastier than any of the other supermarkets.

I actually find local greengrocers disappointing. Most of the stuff looks older and tireder than supermarkets.

creamcheeseandlox Mon 27-Mar-17 18:23:35

I get most of mine from my local market. So much cheaper and I get the bloke to put it all in together so no packaging.

megletthesecond Mon 27-Mar-17 18:28:33

In season.
Grow your own.

We have an allotment and even my half arsed fruit and veg tastes better than the shops.

CMOTDibbler Mon 27-Mar-17 18:34:32

In season and local. The greengrocers in our town labels by village, and some of the farm shops you can see things growing outside. We are lucky to live in the 'fruit basket of England' and the local fruit and veg is amazing

keely79 Mon 27-Mar-17 18:44:46

Would second veg box idea - veg is definitely tastier and fresher though you get less choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now