Talk

Advanced search

Please suggest some meals to make from my new veg / meat box

(18 Posts)
beadyboo Tue 21-Mar-17 23:13:13

I've signed up to a trial of a veg & meat delivery box in attempt to help me to vary my shopping/ cooking habits.
I feel like I make the same half a dozen meals over and over again.
I need some inspiration and have the following parameters to work within.
- I follow (ish) a SlimmingWorld diet, so not much bread / fat
- DH has high cholesterol
- meals to feed 2 adults and 2 primary aged DC
I'm trying to not make chilli / spag bol / cottage pie for a few weeks as we've had this a lot recently.
I'll post the contents of the box in a comment below.
Please make some suggestions to help get me out of my menu rut. I cook from scratch most nights and don't tend to like preprepared sauces but I'm not a chef by any stretch and need to prepare in advance or cook within 30-45 mins.
Thank you

beadyboo Tue 21-Mar-17 23:14:29

Contents are....
1× 2kg Farm Fresh Chicken Breast Fillets (200g each)
1× 250g Dry Cured Back Bacon - Unsmoked
1× 2 x 8oz / 225g Grass Fed 28 Day Aged Beef Rump Steak
1× 4 Pack Pork Loin Steak (180g each, Pack of 4)
1× 2 Pack Haddock Fillets (Skin On) (140G - 170G)
1× 1 Pack Cauliflower
1× 2 Pack XL White Onions
1× 1 Pack Swede
1× 1kg White Potatoes
1× 1 Pack Butternut Squash
1× Approx 100g Ginger
1× 2 Pack Garlic Bulbs
1× bunch Golden Beetroot
1× 1 head Broccoli
1× 100g Coriander (Bunch)
1× 1kg (approx 4 - 5) Parsnips
2× 1 of Leeks
1× 500g Mixed Chantenay Carrots
1× 4 Pack (500g) Lamb Chops
1× 500g Grass Fed Beef Mince (5% Lean)
1× £10 Voucher
1× 100g Watercress
1× 3 Pack Peppers Mixed

Theworldisfullofidiots Tue 21-Mar-17 23:21:19

Poached chicken breast (stock, whit wine and tarragon with a little half fat creme fraiche added at end after stock Reduced) with roasted cauliflower, roasted butternut squash and some leeks.

Fish pie with the haddock

Pork loin bashed to be thin with sage leaves and Parma hat (saltimbocca)

AdaColeman Tue 21-Mar-17 23:43:03

Fish chowder with the haddock, some onion, garlic, leeks, broccoli and potatoes.

Cauliflower cheese with the rump steak, a match made in heaven.

Spicey parsnip soup with the ginger and coriander.

Navarin of lamb with the carrots leeks swede onions and garlic

Meatballs with the mince, add some of your veg chopped fine to a tomato sauce.

A stir fry with the peppers, grated carrot, leeks, garlic, onions, broccoli, served with the pork loin.

Watercress and beetroot salad.

Watercress and potato soup.

Blondie1984 Wed 22-Mar-17 00:23:33

I would cook the pork chops with apples and some reduced fat creme fraiche and serve it with mashed potatoes, carrots and broccoli

Fish pie made with haddock and leeks - topped with a mash that is half potato, half cauliflower

I would make burgers with the mince and potato wedges/chips made from the potatoes

AtleastitsnotMonday Wed 22-Mar-17 09:51:59

Spinach, pea and onion tortilla
Leak and white bean stew
chicken and BNS tray bake
Beetroot and horseradish risotto
Chop the lamb chops into cubes and thread on skewers with the peppers and onions

beadyboo Wed 22-Mar-17 13:45:31

Thank you all. Food box has arrived and it looks amazing. I'm actually quite excited about cooking this week.
Spicy parsnip soup is on the hob right now.

SapphireStrange Wed 22-Mar-17 13:51:58

Try some curries/tagines? There are loads of different herb and spice combos that you can apply to the same vegetables and meat for variety.

Dreamingdreams Wed 22-Mar-17 14:11:55

Roasted cauliflower in white wine cream sauce.

Poach whole cauliflower in 300ml white wine, with peppercorns, bay leaves, and some garlic topped up with boiling water so it's covered and simmer for about 20 mins. Then remove from liquid and place in roasting tray, brush with beaten egg, top with parmesan and roast in oven for 25 mins til golden.

Make sauce from 1 shallot, diced, 50ml wine, 300g cheese, 125ml double cream, 2 spring onions, sliced.

Fry shallot til softened, add wine and reduce by 1/3, then add cream and cheese and stir til thickened, then add spring onions. Once cauliflower is cooked, serve with sauce over the top. You could have it with the chicken fillets wrapped in bacon.

Could I be nosey and ask how much the boxes cost and where you got them from? They sound really nice and I'd be interested to know. Thanks.

beadyboo Wed 22-Mar-17 14:28:57

Thanks again.
Dreaming, it was from a company called Bearfaced. I'm not sure if they deliver nationwide but I think they're based in Manchester.
They were doing a deal of £10 off, but including delivery (£4.95 if you spend less than £80) it was £45.
I'm nothing whatsoever to do with them, I just spotted an advert, but I am impressed with them so far.

kateandme Wed 22-Mar-17 18:45:56

chciken breast wrapped in bacon
sweat down onions and garlic add some cubed potatos stir through some cream or crème fraiche and the bacon serve with fish or pork
or replace the bacon here for butter beans and some pesto and serve ith roast veggies and lamb chops.yum
I seeing a great sheet pan of these veggies roasting,that is some lovely veg listed to veg with some garlic and oil.
mince and pasta bake.
great dish with some potatos cook till tender,saute leeks and bacons and onions.add to dish with potaos sprinkle with cheese and bake.goes with all sorts of meat.
poach the fish and make a lovely fish pie,either mashing the potatos or just slicing along the top
great tomato base mince dish with sliced garlic baguette instead of a pie crust,just slice them and place along the top in replace of pastry,delsih
use some of these veggies to make a savoury crumble...make white sauce and add some stock.then add in veggies pork or chicken if you want and some white wine bake in dish topped with crumble mix without the sugar instead adding breadcrumbs
make a crust for your fish with salt and vinegar crisps,breadcrumbs and parsley

kateandme Wed 22-Mar-17 18:47:48

so glad your happy and axcited.how food should besmile let us know.

kateandme Wed 22-Mar-17 18:49:48

just seen your box I'm seeing a lovely white sauce base with leeks and bacon garlic onion sautéed down served with pork or chicken and mmmm oven baked jacket pototo

chocatoo Thu 23-Mar-17 08:50:38

Just looked at their site - looks great! They should pay you commission :-) Might give it a go!

beadyboo Fri 24-Mar-17 18:03:55

So far I have made curried parsnip and ginger soup, the lean steak mince became burgers, a chicken tikka masala and tonight I have defrosted a salmon fillet, added it to the haddock and watercress and made a fish pie.
I've bought some Palma ham and we're having saltimbocca tomorrow evening as I have more time to faff in the kitchen.
Thanks again for your suggestions I'm hoping to get out of this food rut soon.

Falafelings Sun 26-Mar-17 21:33:55

Parsnip soup

Leek, haddock, potato gratin

Bacon and broccoli quiche

TinklyLittleLaugh Mon 27-Mar-17 11:47:45

I make a sort of cauliflower/mac and cheese hybrid with bacon that goes down quite well with my lot.
Steak you could slice up for fajitas.
Not sure if your haddock is smoked but I like to make kedgeree with mine.

beadyboo Sun 09-Apr-17 22:16:47

Saltimbocca was lovely, would highly recommend. Lamb chops were just fried and served with roasted veg.
Next box is coming in a week. I've gone for a meat only this time, so I may be back for more suggestions. Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now