Talk

Advanced search

Making pizza dough for the first time today

(14 Posts)
Dancergirl Sun 19-Mar-17 10:52:14

Inspired by the pizza thread on AIBU grin

I'm a bit nervous because I don't usually have success with making anything bready. I'm doing it in my Kenwood with the dough hook.

So strong white bread flour right? I have yeast coming in my shopping today. Add olive oil to the dough or not?

Any other tips would be gratefully received!

Chrisinthemorning Sun 19-Mar-17 10:55:28

Sainsburys do a chilli flavour tomato purée which is nice for the sauce.

RedBugMug Sun 19-Mar-17 10:57:18

strong/bread flour
I use olive oil in the dough- for taste and to make it less sticky.
500g flour, yeast, pinch of salt, 250ml water, 50ml oil.
I like to add oregano to the dough as well.

knead until it forms a neat ball. rise. knead again and form. (makes about 4 decent size individual pizzas)

Dancergirl Sun 19-Mar-17 10:57:44

That sounds lovely but dc are strongly averse to anything vaguely spicy!

JonesyAndTheSalad Sun 19-Mar-17 10:58:34

I make it all the time. I use white bread flour and no oil. I add salt to the flour, then prep my yeast by putting two teaspoons in a bowl of warm water with a pinch of sugar. When it froths up a bit, I work it gradually into the flour by using a knife and "cutting" it in.

Once it's together, I knead it on a floury surface for about ten mins. Then I put it to rise in an oiled bowl with a cover.

I use a rolling pin to make it nice and thin once it's risen.

Dancergirl Sun 19-Mar-17 13:34:56

Right, dough is made and in airing cupboard! smile

Orangedaisy Sun 19-Mar-17 13:37:08

I use normal flour, out of date yeast, oil and warm water and it works well every time. Enjoy!

hooliodancer Sun 19-Mar-17 13:38:50

Personally I think tomato puree is too strong for pizza. I cook down a tin of tomatoes with some garlic, then liquidise, for a quick sauce.

I also just leave my dough in the mixer bowl covered with a tea towel, then knock it back using the dough hook again

JonesyAndTheSalad Sun 19-Mar-17 13:40:35

I use pasata.

RedBugMug Sun 19-Mar-17 14:47:01

I use concentrated tomato puree.
less liquid on the pizza if you like to put loads of toppings on

Orangedaisy Mon 20-Mar-17 01:43:03

When I haven't got time to cook down tinned tomatoes/onions etc for the sauce, I mix ketchup and tomato purée. Works really well.

gluteustothemaximus Mon 20-Mar-17 01:49:27

We make the dough in the bread maker because I'm lazy strong white flour, yeast, olive oil, salt, water.

Pizza express passata is amazing.

Tesco mozerella for pizza works brilliantly (other mozerellas too liquidy)

Little drizzle of oil over the mozerella before cooking makes the cheese gooey - like real pizza!

An amazing topping is peppadew peppers. Inspired by the pollo ad Astra pizza at pizza express.

Happy cooking 🍕

Dancergirl Mon 20-Mar-17 13:01:57

They came out really well! Only thing is, I didn't manage to get the base thin enough, they were a bit more bread and not as crispy as I would have liked.

gluteustothemaximus Mon 20-Mar-17 18:10:30

Ah, well, that's the good thing, you can keep changing/trying different ways...Weekly Pizzas until they're just right! Then weekly Pizzas, because they're just right!

DH has gone shopping for pizza ingredients for tonight. Yum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now