Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Your best feed a group meals for a special meal

(10 Posts)
Shurleyshummishtake Sun 19-Mar-17 07:40:31

Cooking for 14 (mix of kids and adults) and looking for prepare ahead special mains

Thinking of doing two different ones that can share sides like a big salad or veggies and mash/crusty bread/rice

Wanted something a bit more special than the usual chilli!!

INeedNewShoes Sun 19-Mar-17 07:44:49

Lamb tagine with cous cous

Or do a meat curry and a veggie curry with rice and get others to bring the other sides

I would though never ask someone to bring rice as a side dish because of the very real dangers associated with rice hanging around at room temperature.

MsHippo Sun 19-Mar-17 07:49:50

My family do something we call crispy chicken: get a couple of whole chickens jointed into twelve (or DIY). Place the pieces in oven proof dishes so they fit fairly snugly but in one layer. Tuck in several cloves of garlic, and if you fancy it a few lemon wedges or a pinch of chilli flakes. Cover with foil and cook at about 160 for a good hour, then take the foil off for another hour. It sound like a really long time for chicken pieces but they don't go dry I promise. The skin goes really crispy and at the bottom of the dish you get a load of gorgeous gungey garlicky chickeny goodness which you absolutely have to mop up with crusty bread. We tend to just serve this with loads of nice bread for the aforementioned dish mopping and a couple of nice salads.

Shurleyshummishtake Sun 19-Mar-17 08:50:41

Thanks both
Doesnthat reallynot get overcooked Mrs hippo? Is that a non fan oven temperature?

shirleycartersaidso Sun 19-Mar-17 08:52:47

Beef bourgignon or stifado with lemon roast potatoes. Both even better when reheated.

QuiteLikely5 Sun 19-Mar-17 08:59:01

Fajitas so quick and easy.

Children - a large pizza - bowl of crisps - humous- carrot sticks - a few ham sandwiches - or whatever you have in

SimplyNigella Sun 19-Mar-17 09:00:09

I usually do one of the following:

- Steak chilli, made with chunks of casserole steak instead of mince, slow cooked with caramelised peppers (the type you buy in a jar) and served with sour cream and wraps as well as rice. Much nicer than regular chilli

- Nigella ham in cola or ham in ginger. Particularly nice with loaded potato skins which work well with steak chilli too

- Nigella 24 hour pork. A more expensive option, but gorgeous and zero effort. Works with crusty bread, rice or any form of potato plus apple sauce

MsHippo Sun 19-Mar-17 17:45:15

It honestly doesn't! It's juicy and flavoursome and delicious. That's fan for me but it's a fairly loose 'recipe' to be honest. One of the great things about it is that the timings and are very loose so it can be slowed down or sped up easily.

calzone Sun 19-Mar-17 17:49:18

Chicken shawarma with rice and flatbreads and babaganoush

foodiemama26 Sun 19-Mar-17 18:41:18

greek lamb with orzo from the bbc website is a firm favourite in this house!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now