Talk

Advanced search

All day open house foood

(7 Posts)
pimmsy Thu 16-Mar-17 23:16:32

Hello people of Mumsnet,

I'm having an all day open house on Saturday for my sister who will be in my city so she can catch up with her friends (she used to live here).

I'm a bit stuck with what to make, about 45 people have RSVP'd however I'm not sure what time most people are aiming on turning up.

For breakfast morning it's easy peasy because I'm in France so I'll just go to the bakery and get croissants and pain au chocolat and lots of orange juice and I've collected a large selection of bodums to make coffee with.

For the rest of the day ->

So far I have a big beef honey thym and shallot stew with turnips that I can serve with masses of mash potatoes and slow roasted pork with prunes that I can serve with tumeric couscous with dried apricots and raisins. I've just realized that both of these meat dishes are a bit sweet.
Do I need to do something plainer?

For vegetarian/vegan dish I'm going to make carrot and kidney bean lime and corriander burgers with a tahini sauce and a big thinly sliced cucumber salad + hummous and poor mans caviar and flat bread. Unless one of you have a non faffy non hugely expensive alternative?

Should I also make a plain quiche? Do I need to do a big green salad ?

Do you think people will expect puddings or can I just get away with loads of clementines and a pannetone ?

Is there anything I'm missing? Any simple things I could also do?

(I have stocked piled loo paper)

I have tomorrow Friday off work so I do have all day but don't want to be too stressed/rushed off my feet.

Thankyou.

Blondie1984 Fri 17-Mar-17 00:11:12

You do have two quite sweet sounding meat mains there - the beef stew sounds delicious - i wonder if you could leave out the honey? I can imagine it would still be divine without

The burgers sound nice but a nice, less faffy alternative might be doing a chickpea (or other bean) type stew /tagine - then you could serve the couscous you are doing with the pork - but I can imagine it would go equally well with the mashed potato

Personally I wouldn't bother with the quiche but would do the green salad - and some sort of cheese platter and fresh bread (envy you being in France and having fresh baguettes!) to serve alongside the pannetone and clementines

Other things to think about are drinks and what you will offer - and what you will serve them in - do you have enough glassware etc? The same for plates, serving dishes, napkins, cutlery etc...

pimmsy Fri 17-Mar-17 09:39:38

Hello Blondie,

Thankyou!

Unfortunately I've already made both meat dishes, so I think I'll just bung some chicken drum sticks in the oven for a plainer meat alternative!

Very good idea about a chickpea curry stew/curry, I've just been out to fetch chickpeas, and I may just do mash for both meat options and just get some naan bread to go with the chickpeas.

I'll do a big green salad, I'm not too sure about cheese, because being in France, 15 years on I'm still scared of the cheese snobs and to do an acceptable platter might bankrupt me! I'll get baguette and various savory dips and jam though.

My brother in law has said he'll bring drinks, but good tip about the glasses, I've just checked with the bistrot next door and they have very kindly said to just pop round in the morning to get a crate of glasses that I can bring back dirty in the evening and they'll wash them. ( I do spend a fortune getting coffee there though!)

Bonne Journée!

Obviouspretzel Sun 19-Mar-17 10:05:38

Nothing to really add but everything sounds amazing.

PutThatPomBearBack Sun 19-Mar-17 14:23:40

Can I come?grin

pimmsy Mon 20-Mar-17 16:56:50

Thankyou! We had a lovely day

pimmsy Mon 20-Mar-17 16:58:15

And I ended up by doing a "sluts dauphinoise" instead of mash I just washed potatoes and sliced them in the magimix, then layed them with nutmeg, garlic and double cream. It worked well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now