Talk

Advanced search

Do you season your mashed potatoes?

(34 Posts)
oldchicken Tue 14-Mar-17 16:12:13

Just wondering if there's something that tastes great in mashed potatoes (e.g. Garlic, mustard etc) to make them a bit more flavourful and delicious?smile

SuburbanRhonda Tue 14-Mar-17 16:15:08

Sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and Kerrygold butter smile

ThumbWitchesAbroad Tue 14-Mar-17 16:17:06

Lots of things, depending on your tastes!
I use onion salt in the water when boiling the spuds, that helps.
I also like to mash cheese into the spuds as well as butter, for nice cheesy mash - cheddar or grana padano (like parmesan but slightly less sharp) or even Boursin if you like garlic.
Black pepper?
Haven't tried mustard or anything like that, but don't see why it wouldn't work - should be fine, although I think I'd probably use the powder rather than made-up mustard (assuming you can still get Colman's in powder forn!)

Obsidian77 Tue 14-Mar-17 16:19:38

Salt, pepper, milk, cheese, parsley and yoghurt. Full fat variants thereof.

BastardGoDarkly Tue 14-Mar-17 16:23:05

Dijon mustard is beautiful.

I always salt and pepper mine, maybe bit of mayo for me (diet) and the kids love cheese in it ☺

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Tue 14-Mar-17 16:23:45

Nutmeg''s nice.

Or horseradish, or mustard, depending what you're serving it with.

everythingburrito Tue 14-Mar-17 16:26:42

Pesto mash is amazing! I usually do loads of salted butter + black pepper but also partial to any type of cheese, garlic, mustard or horseradish as pp have mentioned.

I'm now salivating and craving mash

Scribblegirl Tue 14-Mar-17 16:27:16

If I'm cooking for more than just us two, I'll keep it to salt and pepper. If it's just me and DP, we love it with stacks of garlic in!

Funnyonion17 Tue 14-Mar-17 16:27:31

Butter, salt and pepper usually with a splash of milk.

Now and again grated cheese

Grumpbum Tue 14-Mar-17 16:30:38

I like pesto

beansbananas Tue 14-Mar-17 17:07:53

Salt, pepper, butter and a splash of milk for nice traditional mash. For something a bit different I add spring onions or fried onions. Also mustard or horseradish works well with the right accompaniments. For cheesy mash i'd go for cheddar, or maybe Philadelphia with chives and perhaps a few Lardons or bits of pancetta for a more indulgent treat. but if using sweet potatoes then feta and chilli are delicious together.

Rolypoly Tue 14-Mar-17 17:12:24

Mash with a bit of wholegrain mustard goes well with fish.

BertrandRussell Tue 14-Mar-17 17:13:32

Anchovies.

Utterly delicious.

MountainDweller Tue 14-Mar-17 20:54:08

Leeks (chop small and sweat for 15 mins) and whole grain mustard. Yum. And butter, milk and seasoning.

Hassled Tue 14-Mar-17 20:55:15

Garlic - a couple of cloves boiled with and then mashed with the potatoes. And yes, a fair bit of salt and pepper.

BonnesVacances Tue 14-Mar-17 21:00:22

It's healthier to salt the water that you cook the potatoes in, not the mash itself. If the water is salty enough (when it tastes like sea water) it matches the water density of the potatoes and they don't absorb any salt or water. People only need to salt mash when the potatoes have gone watery and then you are eating the salt.

But yes, then a dash of milk and butter. It really doesn't need anything more than that.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheTimeG0es Tue 14-Mar-17 21:42:08

No, it's one of those things that can't be improved on. Potatoes and salted butter are all it needs. Anything else makes it too rich.

MsHippo Tue 14-Mar-17 21:44:05

Lob a peeled cloves of garlic in when you are boiling the potatoes and mash it in when you mash them. It gives a lovely subtle savoury note!

Sweets101 Tue 14-Mar-17 21:44:27

Equal parts (maybe weighted towards potatoes) butter to potatoes, shit loads of salt. Mash and beat with with a wooden spoon.
To add anything else would be a sacrilege.

BIWI Tue 14-Mar-17 21:45:27

Plenty of salt - ideally Maldon salt crystals. Black pepper. Lots of butter - ideally Lurpak. Occasionally double cream (only a little). Occasionally horseradish or wholegrain mustard.

FrankiesKnuckle Tue 14-Mar-17 21:47:27

Marmite mash.

Even better cold in a sandwich.

user1483387154 Tue 14-Mar-17 21:48:14

salt butter and mustard

MajesticWhine Tue 14-Mar-17 21:49:35

Salt, pepper, milk, butter, and occasionally cream cheese

Pallisers Tue 14-Mar-17 21:52:01

salt, lots of pepper, butter, sometimes a splash of cream.

Bacon, spring onions, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese if I was going all out.

I also do mashed potato occasionally with olive oil - is lovely as a topping for a pie.

I'm going to try the anchovies idea.

AdaColeman Tue 14-Mar-17 21:53:39

Whole grain mustard.
Spring onions chopped fine.
Olive oil.
Horseradish and cream.
Half and half with celariac.
Plenty of cabbage for colannon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now