We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What to serve with baked ham?

(40 Posts)
beadyboo Tue 14-Mar-17 13:53:10

I'm currently boiling a ham, which I usually finish off in the oven and serve with chips, veg and a poached/ fried egg.
DH isn't really fussed on this meal (though the kids love it) and I think it's because it's fairly dry, no sauce, sides etc.
What else could I serve alongside a ham to vary the offering, I'm wondering about cauliflower cheese but would love to hear how other people make this into a tasty meal.

Highlove Tue 14-Mar-17 13:55:07

Cauliflower cheese and good bread often come with ham in my house. Or a nice homemade coleslaw with either new pot salad or roasted new pots. Sometimes good old fashioned parsley sauce, though DH less keen on that.

Jenijena Tue 14-Mar-17 13:55:10

Cauliflower cheese or dauphinois potatoes but probably not both together if you give a shit about saturated fats...

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Tue 14-Mar-17 13:55:45

Braised cabbage

canihaveacoffeeplease Tue 14-Mar-17 13:57:18

I love it with new potatoes, braised red cabbage, green beans and parsley sauce. So retro but such a delicious combo, I'd pick it over gravy with ham any day!!

fallenempires Tue 14-Mar-17 13:58:06

Ooh we had this last night but with fried egg and chips.Cauli cheese would be lovely as would champ.

Blondie1984 Tue 14-Mar-17 13:58:43

Another alternative would be potato waffles, pineapple and sweet corn

AmserGwin Tue 14-Mar-17 13:58:55

Mash veg and parsley sauce

FourKidsNotCrazyYet Tue 14-Mar-17 13:59:31

It's funny how people differ so much. I would never cook a ham specially to have ham, egg and chips. I cook a larger one and do that with the cold left overs. For hot, freshly cooked ham I'd do Cauliflower cheese and baked or new potatoes. I love the parsley sauce idea too.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Tue 14-Mar-17 14:01:35

lovely mash and a parsley sauce

homemade potato salad, plus green beans, or a green salad

egg and chips is dh's favourite, his eyes light up if i say "ham, egg and chips for tea?"

Popskipiekin Tue 14-Mar-17 14:03:06

You could do leeks or onions in a white sauce (bit of cheese maybe) or cumberland sauce is always nice with ham. Any fruity sauce really.

iklboo Tue 14-Mar-17 14:08:40

I did cauliflower & broccoli cheese at weekend but put a layer of mild salsa under the veg. DS(11) really loves it.

Twistmeandturnme Tue 14-Mar-17 14:12:50

There are two ways to go with gammon: creamy or fruity imo.

Braised red cabbage done with cider vinegar, apples and cinnamon is wonderful, as is Cumberland sauce.

I think you can make your 'usual' more to your DH's taste by oomphing the creaminess of the egg by serving it over the gammon, poached and smothered in a good dollop of hollandaise (like eggs benedict).
Mashed potato, veg and parsley sauce. Cauliflower cheese or indeed anything with a cheese sauce.
I want ham now.

Brighteyes27 Tue 14-Mar-17 14:14:05

We often do a big ham and serve with mash, veg and red cabbage or cold with chips and maybe either Cumberland sauce or Mr Vickys Chilli jam delicious and if any left have it in toasted sandwiches with cheese and Mr Vickys Chilli jam or sometimes make a chicken and ham pie with tin of Campbellls soup and veggies.

PutThatPomBearBack Tue 14-Mar-17 14:15:58

Leeks and mushrooms in cheese sauce and potato gratin

beadyboo Tue 14-Mar-17 14:16:28

Thank you. Some lovely ideas. I've never made a parsley sauce before so do any of you have a very easy recipe?
I love eating the leftovers cold with salad and then using all the little pieces for a pea and ham soup. Mmm

beadyboo Tue 14-Mar-17 14:18:40

Ooh and pie. We had roast chicken last night, so chicken and ham pie is definitely on the menu for tomorrow.

UnicornMadeOfPinkGlitter Tue 14-Mar-17 14:25:41

Our Boxing Day meal at my grandparents has always been gammon/ham mashed potatoes, mashed swede and cabbage.

Allthebubbles Tue 14-Mar-17 14:47:13

I did ham with macaroni cheese on Boxing Day. Was delicious.
Or with braised red cabbage.

beadyboo Tue 14-Mar-17 14:55:46

I am ashamed to say I have never cooked red cabbage. I buy the pickled red cabbage in a jar to serve with stew or Lancashire hotpot but I don't know how to cook it. Again any recipes or tips would be welcome. Tonight I'm going with cauliflower cheese, mashed swede and broccoli.

GinAndOnIt Tue 14-Mar-17 14:59:50

We have the Delia Smith courgette and tomato bake with roast potatoes or wedges when we have ham. The courgette thing goes so juicy and lovely, so I have that as my 'wet' thing.

Eatingcheeseontoast Tue 14-Mar-17 15:02:10

I'd have with new or baked potatoes and coleslaw.

I love a ham, but DH doesn't like with chips and egg or cauli cheese. And I think it's wrong with gravy....

TheWayYouLookTonight Tue 14-Mar-17 15:28:19

Mashed potato and baked beans!

Eatingcheeseontoast Tue 14-Mar-17 15:48:57

Cheesy mashed potato and baked beans....

Pigeonpost Tue 14-Mar-17 15:53:53

Always dauphinoise potatoes here and then leftovers with eggs and chips

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now