Talk

Advanced search

Baking as a hobby

(10 Posts)
CurlieSue Tue 14-Mar-17 10:08:56

Hi, I would like to start baking as a hobby - cakes, biscuits, pies. My question is, what to do with the things I bake. I'm on a diet so I can't really eat it myself and I don't want to give it all to my two year old daughter! Does anyone bake but give it all away and if so, who do you give it to? Also I have absolutely no baking equipment, where is the best place to get it from, that is fairly cheap as I'm on a tight budget. Thank you.

Eatingcheeseontoast Tue 14-Mar-17 10:10:35

Charity shops or TK Maxx for equipment.

A friend of mine bakes for a local care home where her mum is.

EyeStye Tue 14-Mar-17 10:13:53

Bake sales for church/school/community centres?
I have a £10 electric whisk from Sainsburies basic range
www.amazon.co.uk/Sainsburys-Basics-Mixer-speed-settings/dp/B007ASGWFW?tag=mumsnetforum-21

have never needed anything more fancy.
Other than that just a bowl, wooden spoon, a scrapey spatula, a baking tray and muffin tray if you are making fairy / cupcakes (Urgh hate cupcakes but my kids like them!)
Have you got scales? Again very cheap ones will do!
Piping bags can make your own or get cheap washable ones from any supermarket

Bundesliga Tue 14-Mar-17 10:17:54

I love baking as a hobby and used to have this same problem sometimes. I used to give to neighbors but then actually got a complaint that I was making them fat! And another neighbour couldn't not reciprocate so would bake things for me!!! Or give me wine which only made me feel guilty as I didn't want anything in return.

I then discovered a group of university students living nearby and they seem overjoyed with anything I give them.

Years later, Now my DCs are big strapping growing lads, they can eat vast amounts of baked goods and still be skinny so they seem to stay on top of most of it.

I also freeze some things for future gifts or events.

I did come to realise that some people get a bit fed up with you bringing them cake every time you come to visit so I backed off on doing that with a select few who saw it more as a burden. I have a few friends who will take any and everything- mostly those with 3+ Adolescent children!

Alternatively you could take cakes to GP surgery, fire stations, school's, that kind of thing. Our local fire station was delighted when we'd drop cake off.

Enjoy!

Lottylovesbread Tue 14-Mar-17 10:18:40

You don't need much equipment. A wooden spoon and a plastic Tupperware bowl for mixing. A rolling pin or glass bottle will do. A cutter for making biscuits or use anything you can find in Playdough kits or top of glass/cup etc. Tins I would suggest a flat one for biscuits, a cupcake one and a Victoria sponge round one - all 3 of which I've seen in poundshops. A mixer is not necessary.

Lottylovesbread Tue 14-Mar-17 10:19:43

Schools, neighbours, nursing homes would all love your goodies.

Bundesliga Tue 14-Mar-17 10:21:00

Yes, nursing homes are great places to drop off baked goods as well.

AGnu Tue 14-Mar-17 10:32:13

There's a few groups like this around - www.freecakesforkids.org.uk/

msrisotto Tue 14-Mar-17 10:37:01

These are all great ideas. Mine rarely get further than my inlaws and never further than my workmates.

CurlieSue Tue 14-Mar-17 14:04:18

Thank you all for your suggestions, there are loads of ideas here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now