Looking for something yummy to stuff a pepper or aubergine with

(11 Posts)
CaptainWarbeck Fri 10-Mar-17 09:50:04

MIL used to do a bloody good stuffed aubergine but I don't know what she put in it! I do know it was very cheesy and grilled on the top, this possibly was key to a good stuffed vegetable.

Anyone have a recipe they use for the innards of this sort of thing (veggie please)? I'm trying to convince DH this would be a tasty meal.

PutThatPomBearBack Fri 10-Mar-17 10:24:09

Chop mushrooms up into small pieces and fry in a bit of Philadelphia and garlic and melt Stilton on top

Or Couscous with grated cheese

ememem84 Fri 10-Mar-17 10:24:57

I stuff butternut squashes or courgette with bolognaise sauce. Then cover with cheese and grill. Mmmm

ememem84 Fri 10-Mar-17 10:25:25

And I've just seen you wanted veggie ones. Lentil bolognaise??

Eatingcheeseontoast Fri 10-Mar-17 10:25:54

My sis used to do one with basically spicy fried rice with veg cut up (using whatever spices/herbs she had in) - then grate, scatter whatever cheese she had in and make sure was all melty and crispy on top.

It was ace - but the cheese was the thing!

LineysRun Fri 10-Mar-17 10:28:21

A bit of rice mixed with chopped mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic and spices (chilli, cumin and ground coriander). Sprinkle with parmesan.

CaptainWarbeck Fri 10-Mar-17 11:05:24

I think rice was in it which added a bit of substance, although veggie bolognaise does sound tasty too *em
The thought of a garlicky mushroomy inside is good.

Should the mixture be wet or dry before it goes in?

StilletoRose Fri 10-Mar-17 14:50:37

Stuff an aubergine with a mixture of it's innards sautéed with Garam masala, garlic & chilli, cashew nut butter, and chopped fresh herbs.

reallyanotherone Fri 10-Mar-17 14:52:56

www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/stuffed-aubergines/

One of our staples now.

CaptainWarbeck Fri 10-Mar-17 22:50:32

Ooh thank you everyone

stilllovingmysleep Tue 14-Mar-17 13:45:03

For aubergines I like Nigella's recipe for involtini with tomato sauce. But also her appetiser with aubergines which you:
Soften on the griddle in thick slices (lightly oiled)
Then fill with a mixture made of feta, red chilli, fresh mint and lemon (not sure if I forgot anything).
Lovely!

For stuffed peppers, I do a dish where i fill them with a mixture of rice (slightly boiled), various fresh herbs, tomato purée and if you want meat too. Then you roast. I add some cut up potatoes to roast alongside in the roasting pan too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now