Talk

Advanced search

Afternoon tea for 5 year olds

(10 Posts)
Shiraznowplease Tue 07-Mar-17 19:13:26

So I work and my dcs do lots of activities so I find it hard to do play dates but don't want my dc to miss out. I have decided to invite 5 of dd friends for afternoon tea on Sunday (plus their dolls!) and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.
I have bought the bunting, stripped cake cases , table clothes etc.
I was planning of ginger sandwiches wiith some pots of breadsticks Aldo I planned to make mini Victoria sandwiches, butterfly cake and fairy cakes with edible flowers, glitter, giant buttons etc.
Has anyone please got any ideas to help me out of wha has/hasn't worked.

Ps have checked with mums that sugary treats are ok

Shiraznowplease Tue 07-Mar-17 19:13:51

Finger not ginger!!!

Needmorewine Tue 07-Mar-17 19:23:45

How lovely ! Maybe a little crafty activity beforehand just to get them off to a good start / give it some structure? You can get big activity packs in Hobbycraft

BrieAndChilli Tue 07-Mar-17 19:25:14

Juice in a teapot??

confusedandemployed Tue 07-Mar-17 19:25:38

That's a lovely idea. Let them drink squash from China cups and saucers (bought at the charity shop, obvs).

confusedandemployed Tue 07-Mar-17 19:25:56

X post...

SilenceOfThePrams Tue 07-Mar-17 19:29:28

If have some nice little dishes of chopped up fruit too.

Sounds like a lovely idea - have fun!

Bogglechops Tue 07-Mar-17 19:46:45

We just did exactly this for my daughters 5th birthday, with 4 friends. Juice in a teapot served in teacups with saucers, bunting, finger sandwiches, strawberries, little cakes etc. It all looked lovely. Unfortunately the lovely little angels didn't really care and it was a bit of a disaster with lots of tears and friendship politics! I envisaged it to be very civilised and sweet, fat chance. I hope your experience is much more successful! grincake

(I also got them to decorate gingerbread men, that part went pretty well! Oh and pin the tail on the bunny. They all cheated! hmm)

AtleastitsnotMonday Tue 07-Mar-17 20:58:09

Do you have any cake stands? They make it look very 'posh'! If not you can get cardboard ones. You could add some little pastries, sausage rolls, cheese straws or palmiers. Maybe some little fruit skewers or cocktail sticks threaded with grapes, pineapple, strawberries etc.

BasicBetty Thu 09-Mar-17 15:19:52

Sounds lovely! I did something similar for DD. Mini breadsticks dipped in melted chocolate and sprinkles went down very well. As did fruit skewers. Enjoy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now