Talk

Advanced search

Italian-type mezze / tapas

(18 Posts)
secondhoneymoon Sat 04-Mar-17 19:56:10

As a group of friends we are taking it in turns to host themed evenings. I've drawn Italian themed ( so lots of Prosecco, Italian wines, Limoncello etc) we aren't doing meals, just nibbles. Apart from a plate of Italian meats/cheeses, what else could I do? Finger food only, could of course do pizza squares but would like to have a few different things. Don't mind making from scratch. Any ideas appreciated

MoMandaS Sat 04-Mar-17 19:59:20

Fried courgettes? You know, you get them in Italian restaurants as a side, lightly battered and salted. Olive foccaccia?

secondhoneymoon Sat 04-Mar-17 20:00:09

Ooh that sounds good thank you

MiniMaxi Sat 04-Mar-17 20:00:29

There's a cookbook called Polpo which has great recipes for this sort of thing - check it out!

LordRothermereBlackshirtCunt Sat 04-Mar-17 20:01:49

Arancini. Yummmm.

NoelHeadbands Sat 04-Mar-17 20:02:15

Bruschetta

Arancini balls

Croissants cut into small pieces and spread with smoked fish pate and topped with a sun dried tomato (yes I know it sounds French but I've had it in Italy honest)

secondhoneymoon Sat 04-Mar-17 20:04:20

Love arancini balls, are they easy to make? Have only had them in restaurants. Bruschetta / why didn't I think of that!!!

IHeartKingThistle Sat 04-Mar-17 20:04:23

There's a lovely thing in one of Gino thingy's books where you mix up soft cheese and pesto, spread on a slice of Parma ham, add a chunk of mozzarella and some rocket leaves and roll up. Mmm.

Jecan Sat 04-Mar-17 20:04:51

We make something we think is called cicco that we had in Puglia.

Buy a pizza base, brush it with olive oil with some oregano mixed in then put it in the oven at 200 degrees till it's browned (maybe 10-12 mins).

While it's in the oven cut up some tomatoes & cover them in balsamic vinegar.

Once the pizza base is ready rub it with a garlic clove then scatter the tomatoes on it, add cut up mozzarella & feta cheese and finish with rocket on top.

You can cut this into small squares for people to eat. It's so simple but so delicious

secondhoneymoon Sat 04-Mar-17 20:06:30

Ooh that Gino recipe sounds fab, will check it out. Lots of great ideAs, thank you all.
Was also thinking of making some mini desserts in shot glasses e.g. Tiramisu / Limoncello cheesecake type things. Any other ideas please?

Jaimx86 Sat 04-Mar-17 20:06:43

Calamari
Garlic prawns

secondhoneymoon Sat 04-Mar-17 20:07:14

Cicco sounds lush (and easy!) too thank you

BriocheBriocheBrioche Sat 04-Mar-17 20:07:55

Wrap Parma ham round Italian rustic bread sticks and bake in the oven until the ham is crispy!
Focaccia
Bruschetta
Grilled vegetables/cold cuts/cheese platter

secondhoneymoon Sat 04-Mar-17 20:13:56

Lots of lovely suggestions, off out now so won't be able to respond til tomorrow. Thanks again all

FawnDrench Mon 06-Mar-17 16:25:17

Will you also be doing sweet nibbles?

There are lots of lovely Italian cakes and of course, biscotti in assorted flavours.

AdaColeman Mon 06-Mar-17 16:43:00

Slices of bresaola spread with herby cream cheese, add several sprigs of rocket and roll up the meat into neat "cigarettes". You can also cut these up to serve.

Thickish slices of salami type sausage each with half or quarter of a fig speared together with a cocktail stick.

Slices of melon wrapped in parma ham, cut up and speared with a cocktail stick.

AdaColeman Mon 06-Mar-17 16:48:19

Mozzarella balls, cubes of melon, radish, salami (yes, you've guessed!) speared together like a kebab.

secondhoneymoon Mon 06-Mar-17 22:26:22

Thanks all and mustn't forget biscotti and amaretti! Lots to choose from thanks so much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now