Talk

Advanced search

Turkey breast help

(7 Posts)
empirerecordsrocked Fri 03-Mar-17 18:37:28

I have a whole turkey breast joint left over from Xmas, stuffed.

I have people coming for lunch next week and it was to be a traditional roast dinner. I now have too many people for a sit down and need to turn it into a buffet. What can I do with the turkey?

Is turkey, roast spuds and salad very odd? I want to avoid gravy for lap eating.

Highlove Fri 03-Mar-17 20:52:37

I think if you did it with roast new pots rather than traditional roasties it would be less odd. But even so, I think you need gravy - turkey breast by itself isn't going to much fun. A simple green salad dressed with good vinaigrette to mop up a light poultry gravy is totally delicious. Very French. Doesn't get over your gravy on lap issue, though.

In your shoes, i'd drop the roast. How about turkey and ham pie? I seem to recall that Jamie does a fab looking one with leeks. Or a curry or something similarly one large pot-based? Or even just do it cold as part of a cold meats and cheese and salad and good bread meal - that'd be a fairly easy way to cater a crowd too.

Blondie1984 Sat 04-Mar-17 00:16:02

I would do a big tray of roast veg - shallots, butternut-squash, beetroot, carrots

empirerecordsrocked Sat 04-Mar-17 08:18:35

Ooh pie - that might just be the way forward!!

AtleastitsnotMonday Sat 04-Mar-17 10:09:45

Are you thinking of serving the turkey cold or hot. If cold I think I would go cold meat, green salad, potato salad, maybe a cous cous salad, tomato and mozerella salad, lots of pickles and a roasted veg tart (warm). Or maybe turn into into coronation chicken (well turkey). Although I'm not sure about the stuffing. I think warm turkey with no gravy would be dry.
Pie also sounds a good option, or a turkey curry wth lots of good sides, or a tagine with cous cous cous.

Coralfish Tue 07-Mar-17 10:17:29

I would serve it cold with lots of pickles and things and new potatoes or potato salad.

BretonRose Tue 07-Mar-17 10:52:05

Potato salad with crispy bacon, honey and mustard chipolatas, roasted parsnips, squash, sweet potatoes and carrots with a cranberry glaze, some kind of stuffing (possibly sage and onion with a crunchy cheese topping) rocket salad, plenty of relishes. Lots of the elements of Xmas dinner, just more spring time versions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now