Talk

Advanced search

Please can I get some help with catering for DD's birthday party?

(7 Posts)
mckenzie Fri 03-Mar-17 15:36:14

I'm doing it myself for 22 11 and 12 year olds. Menu requested by DD -
basic ham, cheese and egg sandwiches, mini sausages, tomatoes/cucumber/carrots/peppers with dips etc.

My question is simple but perplexing me. confused
I'll be putting crisps out in bowls to be shared.
How many bags shall I take? (The party is not at home. They will only be eating at one specific time, not grazing)

The crisps bags are the sharing ones, 150g size.

TIA

Blondie1984 Fri 03-Mar-17 17:20:17

Egg sandwiches? I don't think I've ever heard of a child requesting those - very impressed!
So I've tried to go about this somewhat scientifically, if you assume that each child will eat the equivalent of one individual small pack (25g) then you will need 1x 150g bag per 6 kids then you will need 4 bags - plus I would get 2 extra - so 6 in total....

mckenzie Fri 03-Mar-17 18:01:56

I like your thought process Blondie. Thank you.

And yes, both my DCs have failrly unusual taste buds. I remember being in the supermarket once with the youngest DC in the trolley seat eating some mange tout and olives from a Tupperware and the older one munching on a Madagascan king prawn from the fish counter.

I probably thought that I was the best parent ever. How times change.
I now know that I'm a fairly average parent who's trying her best.

mckenzie Fri 03-Mar-17 19:44:41

So how about this one?

How many eggs per sandwich?
I'll be mashing the eggs with some salad cream.

Tia

Blondie1984 Sat 04-Mar-17 00:10:19

If you are doing egg mayo then one per sandwich but if you are just doing egg then I would go one and a half
Personally though, I wouldn't make that many egg ones as they really are love or hate - I would do more of the cheese and ham ones

TellMeItsNotTrue Sat 04-Mar-17 00:18:57

None, I would go with cold pizza instead of sandwiches, or you can do hotdogs at home and put in a flask to keep warm, or cook them in a slow cooker. I think they would go down better than sandwiches at that age

mckenzie Mon 06-Mar-17 15:55:10

Thanks for the posts guys. They were obviously hungry enough as about 80% of the sandwiches and wraps were eaten, all the carrots, peppers and tomatoes and all of the sausages and breadsticks. Plus the kitkats and Jaffa cakes of course. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now