Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Asda wonky veg boxes?

(9 Posts)
TinfoilHattie Sun 26-Feb-17 11:50:14

Saw these for the first time this morning and quite impressed! 5kg for £3.50. Mine contained 2 swedes, 2 red cabbages, 2 green peppers, 2 mahoosive mutant carrots, parsnips, leeks, onions and potatoes.

We used to get an organic box delivery which cost a lot more and we ended up cancelling because they would send fennel or celeriac and the kids wouldn't eat it. This is a great selection and although it's not organic it's well worth the cash.

Soup on stove as I post.

childmaintenanceserviceinquiry Sun 26-Feb-17 11:54:18

Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall has been "helping" the supermarkets to realise that many of us are quite happy with wonky veg. But what a great name - no fake marketing there!

Cookingongas Sun 26-Feb-17 18:46:18

I bought one today- happy with the selection, and no problems with wonkiness, BUT the carrots and parsnips were on the way out. Parsnips fully bendy- only good for soup. It was cheap and I've used up the veg which needed using up but wouldn't have been happy if I hadn't planned on cooking today.

childmaintenanceserviceinquiry Sun 26-Feb-17 21:09:59

Interesting. They are definite marketed as being misshapen rather than past their best!!

The selection in the OP would phase me slightly - red cabbage, carrots, parsnips, leeks, onions, potatoes yes. Green peppars - too bitter for us and swede dont touch it here. So dont know what to do with that. But for £3-50 not bad value.

megletthesecond Sun 26-Feb-17 21:16:14

I'll have to pop into our Asda and see if they do them.

The green peppers, onions and leeks can be sliced and frozen.

My dc's eat raw red cabbage like crisps.

AlwaysOldBeforeMyTime Sun 26-Feb-17 21:35:46

Morrisons do bags of wonky carrots or parsnips which I've been ordering online (I think around £0.50/bag) and are great-barely even wonky and just as fresh as "proper" ones

TinfoilHattie Sun 26-Feb-17 22:17:51

My box was certainly fresh enough. The carrots were freakishly big compared with what they sell usually, parsnips maybe a bit slimmer as were the leeks. Small onions and spuds, but plenty of them. The swedes obvious rejects - one had had a bit sliced off the bottom, andother was a very weird shape. They'll taste fine though.

TinfoilHattie Mon 27-Feb-17 08:45:06

8 year old has just asked for a "carrot from the wanky veg box" for his packed lunch.

Sad face article in the DM and a complaint to Asda? shock

glenthebattleostrich Mon 27-Feb-17 08:57:00

He's clearly objecting to the end of the organic box!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now