Talk

Advanced search

Bread making experts out there

(30 Posts)
Highlove Thu 23-Feb-17 16:42:22

I've bread a couple of times lately and really enjoying it/the results. (By hand; don't have or want a machine.)

I've ordered a few books from the library but in the meantime, what are your favourite simple recipes?

I've so far basically just made a very simple white which is 50:50 plain flour and strong white, fast-acting yeast, a little oil and water. Mix, knead, prove, knock back, prove, bake. Easy. How can I embellish this while keeping the same simple recipe?

Can I add flavourings? If so, what do you do? Can I add grated cheese or would that mess things up? And can I follow that same basic recipe but maybe substitute some of the plain bread flour for granary?

What else should I do next?

Astro55 Thu 23-Feb-17 16:46:15

Why not look at the bread machine pages for recipies? It's the same ingredients except mix by hand?

I like the tomato bread

Is there a reason you don't want a machine?

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Thu 23-Feb-17 16:48:02

Adding fresh rosemary is nice. Also, you can do olives, or add cheese as you have suggested. I ordered the 5 minute bread book from Amazon. Fab recipes, and system.

geogteach Thu 23-Feb-17 16:51:53

I use half strong bread half granary all the time, works fine

blowmybarnacles Thu 23-Feb-17 16:58:35

Have you tried an overnight sponge?
It's where you leavd the basic mixture overnight?
How about a basic sourdough? Keeps for ages and it makes the best toast!

WhatHaveIFound Thu 23-Feb-17 17:08:16

I use this book and haven't had a bad loaf yet. I use online recipes too. One of my favourites is here.

Highlove Thu 23-Feb-17 17:19:14

Oh brilliant, thanks. I'll have a look at those books. And will have a google of overnight sponge.

I don't want a machine for a few reasons: I've never been blown away by the results of various friends' bread machine bread; I enjoy the process of kneading etc - I'd happily potter about my kitchen all day if the DCs and life allowed it; but mainly because I've got a kitchen full of barely used gadgets and DH would flip-out if I got another!

Highlove Thu 23-Feb-17 17:20:48

Cheese bread is next on my list then. I love it but also good way to sneak a little more nutrition into my three-year-old who'd live off bread and butter if she had her way! (Broccoli bread..?!)

originalbiglymavis Thu 23-Feb-17 17:24:29

I stick mixed herbs, chopped olives and sun-dried tomatoes, or try cinnamon and raisins for a sweet bread.

I have made courgette bread with varying degrees of success (can be very salty if you're not careful). Bagels - they are good too. And bloomers - take ages but are lovely.

RedBugMug Thu 23-Feb-17 17:26:02

I use half/half white and wholemeal bread flour.
sponge method/half sponge
fresh yeast (if I can get my hands on it) or dried active one, fast acting yeast is not right imo.

get your basic recipe right, then you can experiment with flavours.

picklemepopcorn Thu 23-Feb-17 17:27:25

Use the dough for pizza and focaccia and calzone.
Instead of shaping into a loaf, flatten it into a baking sheet. Make dimples with your fingers. Drizzle on olive oil, salt, then a few of: Rosemary, garlic, olives, sun dried tomatoes, shredded bit of ham, cheese sliced/wedged onion. Let it rise. Whack in v hot oven for twenty mins.

Calzone, we flatten the dough, put some cheese, tomatoes, spinach, maybe some cooked chicken or ham on the dough. Fold up the sides like a Cornish pasty and bake.

PurpleDaisies Thu 23-Feb-17 17:27:48

Dan lepard's bread recipes are brilliant. His milk bread is the best loaf I've ever made.

picklemepopcorn Thu 23-Feb-17 17:28:39

Ooh, just add walnuts to a loaf, serve with cream cheese. And sliced onion, sweated off, works too. Just add it to the dough before you shape.

PurpleDaisies Thu 23-Feb-17 17:29:02

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/oct/26/milk-bread-recipes-dan-lepard?client=safari

Milk bread recipe here.

Hastalapasta Thu 23-Feb-17 17:30:34

Yay! Another baker! I often make bread. Herbs like rosemary are often added, seeds are great. Cheese not so much. Kids adore the home made bread sticks with poppy seeds. I use the river cottage magic bread mix, half plain flour half strong, yeast, salt, sunflower oil and warm water. Easy enough to look after the dough whilst pottering around the kitchen. I also recommend making sourdough when you get brave enough, really tasty.....

hippoinamudhole Thu 23-Feb-17 17:31:48

You need @Breadandwine he teaches bread making I believe

originalbiglymavis Thu 23-Feb-17 17:49:53

I've kissed dan leopard... Do you know he got death threats over a column he wrote about Danish pastries?

Highlove Thu 23-Feb-17 18:53:41

Oooh this great - keep them coming. I'd like to do some right now!

Hasta why do you say cheese not so much? Have you tried and it not worked? (I've also been using the River Cottage recipe.)

There's a Dan Lepard book on order from the library. And I'm just looking at his sponge dough recipe from the Guardian.

picklemepopcorn Thu 23-Feb-17 21:21:34

Oh, cinnamon rolls! Flatten the dough and coat with sugar cinamon and butter. Roll it up, slice and put the slices in a buttered tin till they rise. Sprinkle with more then bake. Yum.

CaptainWarbeck Fri 24-Feb-17 03:45:43

Savoury scrolls will give you your cheese hit... basic bread recipe, let rise once, then flatten out to a rectangle and cover with whatever you like out of marmite/grated cheese/tomato puree/cooked onions etc. Roll up and slice into rounds, prove again, bake. Really yummy.

Hastalapasta Mon 27-Feb-17 12:08:29

Cheese tends to burn blush also makes the dough a bit heavy. Going to try this later.

Highlove Mon 27-Feb-17 12:43:02

Thanks Hasta. I'm going to try a granary one later. If my little darlings ever give me three seconds peace.

Hastalapasta Tue 28-Feb-17 11:42:37

Love a granary loaf! Never made one that I did not likegrin how did it turn out?

Bleurghghghgh Tue 28-Feb-17 11:44:03

I use a no knead recipe and it's GRWAT. Never got such a fluffy/airy centre with such little work!

iknowimcoming Tue 28-Feb-17 11:52:12

I've got the river cottage bread book and it's fantastic with minute detail about the science of bread making which I've found really useful and have never had a duff loaf yet - highly recommend smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now