Talk

Advanced search

veggie stir fry - what's good?

(12 Posts)
butteriesplease Thu 23-Feb-17 12:08:17

So I had veggie stir fry for tea last night and it was great. But, I got one of these tubs of veg, ready to pop into the the wok. If I want to make it from scratch, what veg works well? I really don't want to buy cabbage, as doubt would get through a whole one before it goes manky!
other than peppers, what's good?
TIA!

PurpleDaisies Thu 23-Feb-17 12:09:53

I really like baby corn, mangetout, thinly sliced carrots, broccoli, courgette and spring onions (as well as plenty of peppers). Also lemongrass, fresh red chilli and ginger.

PurpleDaisies Thu 23-Feb-17 12:10:31

Forgot, frozen peas work nicely too if you throw them in at the end.

Elllicam Thu 23-Feb-17 12:14:55

Pak choi works well. I also like courgette ribbons and everything purple daisies said too. Usually I add quorn chicken bits and cashews too for protein.

butteriesplease Thu 23-Feb-17 13:21:03

mmm! sounds good! presume you need to slice the broccolli a bit?? so it's thin? right, will get shopping. Is Pak Choi sort of like lettuce?

Thank-you for the suggestions.

PurpleDaisies Thu 23-Feb-17 13:27:14

Yes-with broccoli you've got to make sure any stalky bits aren't too thick. It goes really well with sesame seeds.

Kiroro Thu 23-Feb-17 16:18:13

Basically any veg you like :-)

Pak or Bok choi
Courgettes sliced in either matchsticks or ribbons
Carrots either ribbon or julienne
Broccoli s.iced thin (slicing up some of the stakp v thin is also nice)
Baby spinach leaves
Spring onions
Normal onions if no spring onions
Any baby veg like corn
Sugar snap peas
Little raddishes
Peppers
Kale
I do always buy a cabbage as I love cabbage - I like Chinese cabbage best in stir fry

TheWayYouLookTonight Thu 23-Feb-17 16:23:09

Fresh ginger, garlic and spring onions are a must for flavour. Most other veg work,but my favourites are:
Peppers
Mushrooms
Baby corn
Frozen sweet corn
Courgette
Onion

I once read that a good stir fry only has about 2-3 different veg (not counting the garlic ginger and spring onion combo) so I try to stick to that these days

lastqueenofscotland Fri 24-Feb-17 08:17:33

I have no idea where you'd buy it in the uk but when I lived in China you used to get garlic and chilli stir fried brocolli and... Ahem... "Morning glory" it was delicious though and I promise was a vegetable...

MiladyThesaurus Fri 24-Feb-17 08:27:07

I love pak choi and choi sum (both easily available in supermarkets). I'm the only person who'll eat them in this house but still I always make a greens dish (and then eat it myself).

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Fri 24-Feb-17 12:59:53

We tend to use:
baby corn
carrot ribbons
sugar snaps and/or green beans
broccoli
red pepper
spring onions
beansprouts

I invented a brilliant and delicious stir fry sauce last week too, if anybody would like to hear it!

Jemimapuddleduk Fri 24-Feb-17 13:06:11

Spring onions, chilli, broccoli, red peppers, courgette, bean sprouts, carrots. Use the pouches of coconut rice, sweet chilli sauce, splash of soya sauce and add a couple of eggs- delicious egg fried rice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now