Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Holy/Thai Basil

(13 Posts)
Kai1977 Tue 21-Feb-17 19:43:17

Does anyone know places in SE or central London where I can buy thai basil please? Or online? Needs to be fresh or possibly frozen.

Alternatively how do people get on with regular basil as a substitute?

HVB79 Tue 21-Feb-17 19:47:06

Think they usually have it in Waitrose if you have one near you?

Kai1977 Tue 21-Feb-17 20:23:20

Thank you, I went to the Waitrose in Oxford St but they didn't have any last time. I think it's a bit hit and miss though so will try and again.

Kai1977 Tue 21-Feb-17 20:23:37

Waitrose inside John Lewis I mean.

HVB79 Tue 21-Feb-17 20:26:42

In that case maybe a bigger one like the Brunswick centre? Or Canary Wharf?

ImnotPadget Tue 21-Feb-17 20:30:18

It's been in our local Asda recently, on the fresh herbs rack. I was quite suprised!

squishysquirmy Wed 22-Feb-17 08:29:27

I know this is no use to you now, as you are in a hurry, but it's incredibly easy to grow from seed and looks pretty on a windowsill if you are likely to use it in the future. I have tried growing a few herbs, and Thai basil was far and away the easiest inside herb to grow.

Deathraystare Wed 22-Feb-17 11:49:02

Have you tried an ethnic greengrocers?

Used to be a great (I think) Vietnamese supermarket in Peckham but I think that has gone now. Pity you are not in West London there are a few there.One in Chiswick/Hammersmith borders. Maybe trawl around Chinatown? Or if you fancy a trip to Croydon (east) the market had a thai stall I remember. And yes some Waitrose do stock it as do other supermarkets.

Kai1977 Wed 22-Feb-17 13:35:44

Thanks all. Will try they supermarkets.

I would consider growing it too, do you buy seeds online?

squishysquirmy Wed 22-Feb-17 15:43:06

I got some in a sort of variety pack of 6 different seeds from home bargains last year - I wanted the coriander seeds in the pack, but planted the Thai basil on a whim (I'd not heard of it before) and it grew far better than the coriander, or regular basil did. I'm sure it will be sold online, though.

1frenchfoodie Wed 22-Feb-17 18:30:35

The bigger grocery shops in chinatown should have it. There is one with a great selection of fresh herbs in a room on the left as you enter the store, not sure of name but quick browse should find it. Like ordinary basil it does not freeze well.

Mind you I'd prefer to grow it, must look for seeds..

CSLewis Mon 27-Feb-17 13:31:15

There's a small Chinese or Vietnamese shop in Peckham, almost opposite Burger King, that usually has Thai basil wrapped up in newspaper in the fridge at the back of the shop - ask the lady behind the counter. Might be worth ringing ahead though, as I vaguely remember she only gets it delivered once a week.

loinnir Mon 27-Feb-17 15:17:42

Thai holy basil has slightly aniseedy flavour and usually has smaller leaves than ordinary Basil. I usually get it from Waitrose/Ocado but it is out of stock quite often. I have found ordinary basil a good substitute (not exactly the same). Bill Granger Aussie chef thinks ordinary basil is fine for use in his asian recipes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now