Talk

Advanced search

Health vs Taste - What Should I Feed My Kids?

(12 Posts)
user1487606689 Mon 20-Feb-17 16:21:53

I'm torn between giving my kids healthy food that they push about their plates but don't eat, and giving them tasty but less healthy meals.

What should I do? confused

Is it that bad to give them say sausages for dinner every now and then?

SheDoneAlreadyDoneHadHerses Mon 20-Feb-17 19:57:13

No is it heck! Moderation is key - and buying the highest meat % you can afford. Debbie and Andrew sausages are 97% meat and Heck do lovely chicken sausages.

SheDoneAlreadyDoneHadHerses Mon 20-Feb-17 21:49:59

You can also make homemade versions of things: breaded chicken goujons (strips of chicken meat in egg and seasoned breadcrumbs), same with fish goujons, pitta pizzas (you can get organic pitta breads that don't have any ingredients you wouldn't use yourself), cheesy scrambled eggs, all sorts!

Blondie1984 Mon 20-Feb-17 22:19:21

Why is it one or the other? Just because something is more nutritious doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't taste good....unless the choice is sausages vs mung bean stew...

What do they like and what are the meals you tend to make the most? How old are DC?
It sounds like maybe a bit of experimentation could help...

Cookingongas Tue 21-Feb-17 04:06:25

Rightly or wrongly I just make food I fancy/is in budget. We had a sausage casserole today - I don't think of that as unhealthy. The only measure I take to consider health is that I make sure all meals offer a minimum 2 veg portions (which may or may not be eaten as long as I've offered it I'm happy)

anklebitersmum Tue 21-Feb-17 04:15:38

Nothing unhealthy about a good curry, casseroles, shepherd/cottage pies, pulse heavy chilli or even a spag bol (from scratch, not Dolmio) and they're all tasty.

Breading fresh chicken or fish or throwing a few oven chips and frozen peas with a good quality sausage or three (or steak if money allows) in their direction once in a while won't kill them either mind you!

Would recipes be beneficial? I have plenty of easy 'go to' biter pleasing throw togethers if you'd like?

Grumpbum Tue 21-Feb-17 05:34:54

I would like some recipes, thank you!

Shellysellsseashells Tue 21-Feb-17 09:47:48

What are your thoughts on Richmond sausages for the kids though?

I know they're not the highest meat % but they are smooth and kids love them, are they ok? confused

anklebitersmum Wed 22-Feb-17 02:57:05

I always buy a decent sausage. Nothing under 75% meat and ideally over 85%. Richmonds are 42% shock and not bloomin' cheap either

We're not loaded so I buy everything per kilo, portion my own chicken so I'm not being ripped off for breast meat and buy mid-range minced beef and/or pork.

I have dry spices, in seed form where possible (buy from East End Spices online if there's nowhere local) as they last longer and they're so versatile for rubs on drummers, pulled pork, bbq sauces etc etc etc

I also bulk out with pulses, so in a korma I'd add 2 cans chick peas not 1 and I make my own paste (I've used all of these..they're good-and fast!). And online!

Chilli I make in bulk using cayenne, smoked paprika, sweet paprika, pepper, salt, cumin, coriander and tsp or two of chilli in a jar (lasts longer). You can just whack in chilli powder but if you have the individual spices..
500g of minced beef, two chopped onions, 5 cans of tomatoes, 4 cans kidney beans, three cans sweetcorn, two optional cans of mixed pulses & splash of balsamic (using a 7l pot). Add a little extra beef stock/water if using all the pulses as they suck up moisture. Makes a mahooosive chilli which you can freeze or use for chilli lasagne the next day (yum).
I usually add a baked spud or brown rice. (worth a try if you're new to it-thought we'd have backlash but the biters now won't eat white!)

Pulled pork is easy too with a dry rub and a few hours cooking time. Add coleslaw, spuds and a bbq beans mix (mixed pulses, haricot beans, kidney beans, chopped onion with homemade bbq sauce from passata, spices and dark brown sugar whacked in the oven along with the pork).

With the basic herbs and spices in place it's easy peasy to make exciting food that's healthy-and a LOT cheaper long term than buying jars of nastiness to add to pre-portioned meats grin

Grumpbum Wed 22-Feb-17 06:27:15

Thank you!

skerrywind Wed 22-Feb-17 06:43:43

Why the choice between taste and health?
Healthy food is often the most delicious- I wouldn't thank you for a sausage.

Do you use flavourings? Spices, chilli, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, herbs,vinegar, flavoured oils.

There is nothing boring about a home made chicken and veg curry with home made wholewheat chapatis, a chilli dip and baked homemade samosas.

Bensyster Wed 22-Feb-17 08:18:26

We eat Heck sausages, we have them whenever we fancy. Had a sausage and puy lentil stew last night with onions, courgettes, peppers, garlic, chilli and tomato. Loads of veg and loads of taste. Don't skimp on good oil - it's good for you and improves the flavour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now