Talk

Advanced search

Batch cooking and freezing

(6 Posts)
ReturnofSaturn Sat 18-Feb-17 03:34:34

I want to make a few meals tomorrow to freeze and have later on. If i make a curry for example would it be better to freeze in individual portions or just the curry in one larger tupperware? Also how do I reheat it in the microwave on high? Thanks in advance.

user1477282676 Sat 18-Feb-17 03:38:32

It really depends on your situation and your family. How old are your children if you have any? In my family, the children are a bit older and we don't all sit together every night for meals any longer....because people are doing different things.

That means that individual portions make sense.

In terms of reheating, just pop a portion in on high for a minute, take it out, stire, then pop it in for another minute. That's usually enough but some might take 3 mins in total.

ReturnofSaturn Sat 18-Feb-17 03:43:02

Its just me and husband.

WatcherOfTheNight Sat 18-Feb-17 03:44:02

I do both,a couple of individual portions plus enough for the family.
I love the days I can just defrostsmile

Some dishes separate slightly & I prefer heating then on the hob but if I'm in a hurry & need to microwave I put the microwave on twice stirring in between,making sure the food is properly heated through.
Lamb Kofta (meatball curry) for instance takes longer than Spag Bol or stew.

user1477282676 Sat 18-Feb-17 03:52:21

I am planning on a massive batch cook soon as we have a friend coming to stay with his young DD and we might not want to cook every night but I'd like to be able to offer a proper meal either way...he's a big man and I'm certain he will eat more than DH and I do.

I am thinking of doing chicken curry, lamb curry, vegy soups and spag bol.

BlueClearSkies Sat 18-Feb-17 18:51:15

I have done some batch cooking today.

I made a big sausage casserole. I put on the label how many each pot will feed. So a couple of pots are for 3 and one large one for 5.

Chicken curry, one large amount for 4 of us during the week. I also have a small portion for 3 in the freezer.

I will probably make chilli con carne and a cottage pie tomorrow.

I also make batches of cheese sauce, then they are useful for a quick mac and cheese or for a lasagne.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now