Talk

Advanced search

You know how we aren't supposed to eat tinned tomatoes?

(73 Posts)
originalbiglymavis Tue 14-Feb-17 10:02:48

Baked beans? What about bakes beans? Can you get nice ones in a jar or carton?

BertrandRussell Tue 14-Feb-17 10:04:37

Why aren't we supposed to eat tinned tomatoes?

Whatslovegottodo Tue 14-Feb-17 10:04:45

Why are we not supposed to eat tinned tomatoes confused?

farfarawayfromhome Tue 14-Feb-17 10:10:46

tinned tomatoes are my staple diet, what's wrong with the delicious little blighters?!

isupposeitsverynice Tue 14-Feb-17 10:11:49

No idea why tinned toms are supposed to be bad but Heinz do beans in a fridge jar now so maybe that's good for you op?

TheMasterNotMargarita Tue 14-Feb-17 10:13:31

Because some alleged toxin gets in your tomatoes.
But I'm sure many generations of long lived Italians may disagree...

GoldenWondering Tue 14-Feb-17 10:17:23

Is this to do with the BPA lining in the cans?

Thefitfatty Tue 14-Feb-17 10:18:07

What? Well my families screwed then. We live on tinned tomatoes.

RyanStartedTheFire Tue 14-Feb-17 10:21:07

What about in cartons? Cartonned tomatoes?!

ParisGellar Tue 14-Feb-17 10:21:42

WHAT?

shinysinkredemption Tue 14-Feb-17 10:22:47

Aren't Heinz fridge beans in a plastic jar..?

clippityclop Tue 14-Feb-17 10:23:33

What now???

HelenaGWells Tue 14-Feb-17 10:24:27

Have you been reading the Daily Fail OP?

BuggerOffAndGoodDayToYou Tue 14-Feb-17 10:35:33

What's wrong with tinned tomatoes?

We had them (in spag Bol) last night! Have I killed my family.....🙀

bluebeck Tue 14-Feb-17 10:36:47

Tinned tomatoes are yucky, but aside from that I have no idea what you are on about.

I am not giving up my baked beans, no siree!!

missyB1 Tue 14-Feb-17 10:41:43

Apparently our pasta being sold in plastic packaging is dangerous too, something about toxins from the plastic getting into our pasta (was told this by a nutritionist who was doing a "healthy eating after cancer" talk! shock hmm
Honestly we could all panic ourselves into an early grave if we listen to every food scare. I reckon the anxiety it causes is more unhealthy!

originalbiglymavis Tue 14-Feb-17 11:03:17

Everything is bloody dangerous these days! Apparently the acid in tomatoes can react with the cans and that's supposed to be cancer causing.

My pasta comes in papery bags though.
I thought it was hooey but a couple of relatives on the US (doctors) told us to stop using the cans. I'm not fussed myself (kamakazee approach to use by dates) but DH has put his foot down and grumbled about my lovely baked beans!

originalbiglymavis Tue 14-Feb-17 11:05:44

Plastic bottled water too! They are anti that as well.

I won't drink tap water as I watch far too many crime thrillers and everytime I see a slab being sluiced out I think 'eoooow, that's going into the water supply!'

chemenger Tue 14-Feb-17 11:51:50

I'm fairly sure that mortuary slabs are sluiced into the sewers, you know with urine, faeces, the mud you wash off your veg etc rather than directly into the fresh water supply. What an odd thing to think. Drinking water goes through purification before coming into your pipes, bottles water does not always meet the same standards are tap water.

Kennington Tue 14-Feb-17 11:58:54

The acid in the tomatoes will only start to react with the cans after the vacuum is broken and they are exposed to air.
So just don't leave the tomatoes in the opened can for ages.

originalbiglymavis Tue 14-Feb-17 11:59:34

I know but yuk. I never said that I wasn't odd!

TwitterQueen1 Tue 14-Feb-17 12:03:30

What a daft thread OP. Do you ever connect reality with what you see on the TV and read in the papers? hmm

originalbiglymavis Tue 14-Feb-17 12:07:34

...Or what I have been told by 2 doctors in the family (well one doctor and a senior surgeon). No need for PA hmmm face - do you speak to people like that in the real world?

NarkyMcDinkyChops Tue 14-Feb-17 12:07:47

Apparently the acid in tomatoes can react with the cans and that's supposed to be cancer causing

Complete nonsense.

RyanStartedTheFire Tue 14-Feb-17 12:08:40

The bottled water thing is nonsense too. Have you been to the drs about your anxiety OP? It sounds stressful for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now