Talk

Advanced search

Any simple receipes, all I have is a salmon fillet and no imagination

(21 Posts)
april74 Wed 28-Feb-07 09:27:18

have 1 salmon fillet for dh taken from freezer as trying to defrost, made the mistake of saying I would do something nice with it for him, but I dont have any idea's.

Help!!!!!!!

Marscentio Wed 28-Feb-07 09:29:16

slice some lemon and pop on top of salmon. A few herbs, wrap in foil (make a kind of parcel/tent) pop it in the oven for 20 mins. Lovely and fresh!

Wheelybug Wed 28-Feb-07 09:30:15

if you time to get ingredients - v. easy is to wrap salmon in greaseproof paper with some leeks (chopped finely), frozen peas and a dollop of creme fraiche. You can then either do this in the microwave for a few mins or in oven for 20. The recipe actually recommends doing it in microwave and I have done both.

Otherwise, do you have lemon and/or white wine ? You could wrap it in foil with the above and bake in oven for 20 mins or so.

yellowrose Wed 28-Feb-07 09:41:22

Either grill or shallow fry with olive oil (virgin if poss. !) - add lemon juice just before eating

Serve with creme freche and some dried dill or chives mixed in (yummmmmy !!)

Serve with some plain rice and a few drops of soya sauce or teriyaki sauce on the side

Slice very thinly and serve RAW Japanese-style if you like raw fish

yellowrose Wed 28-Feb-07 09:42:56

Oh, new potatoes with some butter or olive oil and some greens, like green beans, excellent too !

april74 Wed 28-Feb-07 10:09:16

wow thanks ladies some fab idea's, will definately use those and then claim the credit for myself ;)

april74 Wed 28-Feb-07 10:11:40

oops too much msn

Enid Wed 28-Feb-07 10:12:50

your thread title is such a sad summary of life.

I mean, haven't we all, in some way, just got a salmon fillet and no imagination?

Go out for dinner.

Legacy Wed 28-Feb-07 10:15:54

Grill salmon

Stir fry peppers/ onions/ courgettes etc

Boil some egg noddles

Buy a stir fry sauce, or make a honey/soy sauce one

Toss veg & noodles together & service salmon fillet on top.

pretendmum Wed 28-Feb-07 10:27:13

Marinade in salt pepper and lemon juice for about 2 hours before cooking, then shallow fry for just over a minute on each side on medium-high heat. Serve with salad in the summer or roast vegetables in the winter.

speedymama Wed 28-Feb-07 11:12:53

Mix crushed garlic,lemon juice, olive oil, a dash of paprika and spread on salmon. Marinate for a couple of hours. Steam spinach and leeks until soft. Put into oven dish and place salmon on top. Bake for 30 minutes. Delicious.

Piffle Wed 28-Feb-07 11:14:02

giner soy sauce honey sesmae oil/seeds
wrap in foil and bake

or corainder chili and lime juice put in the blender and marinade
cok same as above.

Surfermum Wed 28-Feb-07 11:16:03

"Cok the same as above". I think dh would have something to say about having chilli on his nether regions .

<<Surfermum returns to decluttering having lowered the tone>>

FluffyMummy123 Wed 28-Feb-07 11:16:41

Message withdrawn

eidsvold Wed 28-Feb-07 11:18:18

sweet chilli sauce poured over fillet then fry it - we use non stick pans

serve with jacket potato and veges or salad.

oxocube Wed 28-Feb-07 11:19:35

Sooo true, Enid

oxocube Wed 28-Feb-07 11:20:10

Would make a good title for a book though

Budababe Wed 28-Feb-07 11:22:51

Hmmm - perfect timing for this thread as I too have salmon fillets and no imagination!

(Actually I looked for salmon recipes on here a while ago and found a lovely one that involved poaching the salmon, cooking pasta, flake salmon and mix together with melted butter (could use olive oil), lemon juice and rocket. Twas very nice - even non-fish-lover DH liked it)

giraffeski Wed 28-Feb-07 11:25:02

Message withdrawn

yellowrose Wed 28-Feb-07 14:24:13

disagree - many countries do their food with virgin olive oil incl. fish hence much lower heart disease (Italy, Spain, Turkey, Portugal, Greece, etc).

Dh has high cholestrol and so I switched to doing everything in virgin olive oil. It actually REDUCES cholestrol if used regularly.

You defo. CAN taste the difference too, I can any way. Normal olive oil does not have the same properties as virgin, because it has been refined to death. I find ordinary olive oil smells when fried.

You mustn't overheat virgin olive oil though, it burns easily. What I do is heat it for a few secs. before putting food in on a very low heat. That way it never burns.

Of course there are alternative oils and salmon is a very oily fish any way, it gives out its own oil when fried/grilled, so I literally use just a few drops of olive oil if I shallow fry it so it doesn't stick to the pan.

Grilled or oven cooked is the healthiest option for fish/meat.

Sorry, don't want to switch this to an olive oil discussion, it is just very close to my heart, as it were, because of dh and heart disease in my own family

april74 Wed 28-Feb-07 19:46:00

many thanks for all your receipes I will bear them in mind for the future.

I did dh salmon in lemon juice, stir-fried veg and added a nice lemon sauce, he said it was lovely, and believe me if there was somethingnot quite right he would of every so politely told me so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now