Talk

Advanced search

Wholemeal bread - what age?

(19 Posts)
PurpleRabbit Tue 27-Feb-07 20:57:29

I know you're not meant to give very young children wholemeal bread, but I ran out of white today so gave DS (2.1) a slice and he loved it? Can anyone tell me if he's old enough now to get it all the time instead of white?

massagemum Tue 27-Feb-07 21:12:13

My children eat wholemeal most of the time. I have never had any problems. I thought that after 1 year they were ok to eat it?!

nicnaksmum Tue 27-Feb-07 21:14:46

Haven't heard this one before ... what do they recommend re bread and babies?

Astrophe Tue 27-Feb-07 21:16:35

I very rarely give my kids white bread - we don't usually buy it. I've never heard you shouldn't give it.

chocolateshoes Tue 27-Feb-07 21:17:52

I've been giving DS - 20 mths wholemeal breal & pasta & rice for ages now. Should I not have?

ScottishThistle Tue 27-Feb-07 21:18:04

I've always given children wholemeal bread, no problems as yet in 15yrs!

Fonk Tue 27-Feb-07 21:18:04

eh?

mine havd always had it

its got more vitamins and stuff in the bran

somersetmum Tue 27-Feb-07 21:18:27

I couldn't get ds to eat bread at all as a baby - until one day when I had run out of the white sliced I used to buy for him . ( because I bought it, not because I ran out) I gave him wholemeal, he loved it and has eaten it ever since. He was about 15 months, I think. I've never heard any rules about babies and bread either.

EmsTomot Tue 27-Feb-07 21:20:40

I give my 8 month old whole meal toasties - no one has advised me not too - I thought white bread was worse for them because when having finger foods it doesn't disappear in their mouths as quickly as whole meal.
Please tell me if I am poisoning my boy!!!???

massagemum Tue 27-Feb-07 21:26:59

Just checked - bread is fine for babies from 6-7 monthes old.

brimfull Tue 27-Feb-07 21:28:20

mine have never had white bread,started them on wholemeal and progressed to seeded stuff

swifterella Tue 27-Feb-07 22:09:21

eh? i have given mine wholemeal from as soon as he could chew!

OldieMum Tue 27-Feb-07 23:03:18

Hardly ever have anything other than wholemeal chez nous. DS - 7 months - loves it.

Birdly Wed 28-Feb-07 14:54:47

As I understand it, very young children aren't supposed to have a diet that's too high in fibre, as it's quite bulky and fills them up too easily.
Don't know what age this applies to but I'm sure it's absolutely fine at 2.1, Purple Rabbit.
Our two have both had wholemeal for ages (3.4 and 2). The only time we buy white is if DH fancies a bacon sarnie lardfest and it just has to be with white bread!

KathyMCMLXXII Wed 28-Feb-07 14:56:56

Ours (21 months) has wholemeal whenever we do, which is usually.
I can see the logic re. bulk and fibre, but she's hardly short of calories. Anyway, surely children have been eating whole grains for millennia?

TeeCee Wed 28-Feb-07 14:58:13

I gave my DD's wholemeal as soon as they could suck!

6 months and on.

hippmummy Wed 28-Feb-07 14:59:32

Mine have never had anything but wholemeal and granary (eek!)
Didn't know about the fibre thing either - weetabix has been a life saver for us!

LittleMonkiesMum Wed 28-Feb-07 15:23:55

I asked a dietician about this as I was giving DD wholemeal as soon as she could eat, and she told me that they sometimes have trouble digesting it, but if there doesn;t seem to be a problem then stick with wholemeal.

Eleusis Wed 28-Feb-07 15:29:12

I am far from convinced that white bread is better than wholemeal at any age. Why would you want to teach your children to prefer manky white bread. By only exposing them to white bread when they are young encourages them to prefer white bread. It is bloody bad nutritional advice if you ask me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now