Talk

Advanced search

Veggie option instead of pulled pork

(41 Posts)
RachaelCatWhisperer Thu 09-Feb-17 13:36:06

Hi everyone!

I'm tasked with the veggie option for my dad's 65th party. Plenty of ideas for veggie options in general, but any thoughts on what would work instead of pulled pork? My sister is cooking and the menu is pulled pork with rolls and side salads, so it could do with being something not too bready which could be served in a roll perhaps, or at least buffet friendly rather than something runny or saucy. Any ideas? TIA smile

Minstrelsareyum Thu 09-Feb-17 13:42:55

Falafel? Make sure it's not too dry and there is a sauce or mayo to go with it in the roll.

THirdEeye Thu 09-Feb-17 13:45:09

What about making a pepronata?

www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/peperonata/

GangstaRat Thu 09-Feb-17 13:45:18

Jackfruit apparently tastes exactly like pulled pork, but I don't know how easy it is to prepare and cook.

abeandhalo Thu 09-Feb-17 13:47:57

Halloumi and / or grilled flat mushrooms? Only trouble is they can be quite rubbery if left to go cold!

PurpleDaisies Thu 09-Feb-17 13:50:08

Spicy bean burgers. My favourite.

MagicChicken Thu 09-Feb-17 13:53:21

YY to spicy bean burgers, they are delicious. Or falafel.

SerialReJoiner Thu 09-Feb-17 13:53:22

Lentil sloppy joes is my first thought. Loads of different recipes online. We like them a bit spicy.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Thu 09-Feb-17 13:54:40

what about a mushroom stroganoff effort...thinking you could slice the mushrooms finely and go with the pulled pork vibe for the flavours, but it might look like a puddle of grey brown mess. Having said that pulled pork is no picture.

SallyGinnamon Thu 09-Feb-17 13:56:15

I had pulled jackfruit in the style of pulled pork in a local cafe which was delicious!

No idea how to make it though....

SerialReJoiner Thu 09-Feb-17 13:57:08

Where do you even buy the jackfruit though?!

PurpleDaisies Thu 09-Feb-17 14:01:08

I tried jackfruit once and it was one of the most disgusting things I've ever tasted. Maybe I was unlucky.

DailyMailFuckRightOff Thu 09-Feb-17 14:01:58

Jackfruit - you need the tinned stuff. International supermarkets stick it. Google recipes and it'll tell you which sort to buy, i.e. In brine not in syrup.
Comes out just like pulled pork but I find it really not so filling. so ensure some other proteins are on offer / included in the dish.

DailyMailFuckRightOff Thu 09-Feb-17 14:03:47

purple did you try it in a dish or as the fruit? My understanding is that it's pretty flavourless.

PurpleDaisies Thu 09-Feb-17 14:04:46

I had jackfruit "pulled pork". The texture was revolting.

Sunnyshores Thu 09-Feb-17 14:08:00

jackfruit yuk yuk yuk

RachaelCatWhisperer Thu 09-Feb-17 14:21:57

Thanks everyone. I'm sure I'll get jackfruit here in Birmingham. You can get anything from anywhere down the Soho Road! But perhaps I better experiment first as it's had so many mixed reviews! Liking the lentil sloppy Joe idea. Cheers all

PurpleDaisies Thu 09-Feb-17 14:23:40

If you're going to serve it, make sure there's another better option for veggies as well. I'm really not a fussy eater at all but it was grim.

user1467125853 Thu 09-Feb-17 14:26:03

No!!! Linda McCartney does frozen veggie pulled pork that is lovely!

user1467125853 Thu 09-Feb-17 14:27:05

www.lindamccartneyfoods.co.uk/our-food/frozen-range/vegetarian-pulled-pork-14lb-burgers/

There's a link! They sell it at my local ASDA.

YouMeanYouForgotCranberriesToo Thu 09-Feb-17 14:27:06

How many veggies? Linda McCartney do a good pulled pork style burger, but would be expensive if you had to get too many of them

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Fri 10-Feb-17 16:28:09

Roast some huge mushrooms (put a bit of garlic, oil and s&p in them) and for the last ten mins or so put slices of haloumi on top.

Or yes to beanburgers of some sort.

Or veggie hotdogs, if they don't mind fake meat.

MagicChicken Fri 10-Feb-17 19:19:08

Frozen veggie pulled pork? confused

Whatever that is, it's sure as hell not pork.

I think things that are designed to be fake versions of meat are best avoided, personally. They are usually grim Frankenstein foods that taste nothing like the meat they are pretending to be and nothing like much else worth eating either.

Just make some lovely beanburgers.

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Fri 10-Feb-17 20:44:56

Veggie hotdogs are nice, probably because real hotdog sausages are a long way from 'real' meat too!

NeverTwerkNaked Fri 10-Feb-17 20:48:49

I do lots of roast veg (mushrooms, garlic, peppers, aubergine, courgette); fried with honey and dash of soy sauce. It's got that see e

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now