Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

OMG Stewed Plums!

(12 Posts)
Fontella Thu 09-Feb-17 12:23:51

Nectar of the Gods or what?

Work from home, mid-morning, belly rumbling, not had breakfast, fancied summit sweet, but nothing in house.

Bought a punnet of plums on impulse the other day and they were sat in fruitbowl starting to shrivel. So I cut them up, added a teaspoonful of honey a drop of water, and stewed in a pan, then poured over unsweetened porridge.

Just mouthwateringly gorgeously delicious! Zinging with flavour, sweet, tangy, gorgeous plum coloured syrup - and so easy.

Why don't we cook stuff like this anymore? At least I don't. But I will be in future!

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Thu 09-Feb-17 12:28:45

i love poached plums.....either piping hot with cold custard, or the other way round...from the fridge with hot custard.

toffeeboffin Thu 09-Feb-17 12:31:52

Yup, they're awesome.

Good with Greek yog, also nice in smoothies. I'm sure you could add some garlic /onions and spices and make an awesome sauce for duck or lamb too.

Pears are also good stewed.

PurpleDaisies Thu 09-Feb-17 12:33:31

I agree. I add amaretto to mine.

They're a great base for crumble with almonds on top.

Fontella Thu 09-Feb-17 12:39:24

Ooh I like the sound of that - plum crumble.

I used to make apple and pear crumbles years ago, but haven't done anything like that for literally a couple of decades. Just got out of the habit.

I do eat raw fruit (pears are my favourite) and always have a full fruit bowl. I usually chop up an apple in a salad, but never do anything else with it.

Note to self - start cooking again - and use fruit!

Surreyblah Thu 09-Feb-17 12:40:46

DH's favourite was his gran's plum crumble.

How long did you stew them for?

Fontella Thu 09-Feb-17 14:58:59

Literally just while I cooked the porridge - three, four minutes maybe?

Chucked them in one pan with a spoon of honey and a couple of teaspoons of water, then made the porridge in another pan.

FlukeSkyeRunner Thu 09-Feb-17 15:53:56

Cooked plums are amazing. Great in crumbles / pies etc or just as they are with custard or ice cream.

mugglebumthesecond Thu 09-Feb-17 15:59:55

Yeeesssss!!!

I make plum flapjack- flapjack, a layer of plums, then flapjack on top.

One of your 5 a day wink

Surreyblah Thu 09-Feb-17 16:10:17

Mmmm.

MyGastIsFlabbered Thu 09-Feb-17 16:13:35

I want stewed plums now. Did anyone else used to do tinker, tailor with the stones or was that just me? If you ever get the chance to get some mirabelles pass it up at your peril...they are divine.

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Fri 10-Feb-17 16:25:37

Love stewed plums. I do mine in the oven with honey, port and cinnamon. They are especially delicious with homemade rice pudding, complete with skin.

Have also done them using hot fruit tea before instead of the port. Nice enough but the port is better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now