Talk

Advanced search

Menu ideas for DD aged 7

(10 Posts)
threewonders1 Wed 08-Feb-17 18:45:38

My daughter is quite fussy, she will eat = pasta with tuna, roast dinners with veggies, eggs, and I make my own chicken nuggets and fish goujons.
But I struggle with more ideas, and she is not a lover of rice either.

Every meal time is getting so boring now

Thanks anyone advice appreciated

Artandco Wed 08-Feb-17 18:50:07

Depends how fussy she is. I have a 7 year old. Last few dinners he has eaten:

Lamb meatballs with tzaziki, with pitta bread and Greek salad

Salmon, rice and broccoli

Cod with pesto, Parmesan and breadcrumbs topping. With mash and spinach

Aubergine and chickpea tagine with giant couscous

Beef goulash and dumpling

Highlove Wed 08-Feb-17 18:58:24

Unless she is underweight or has specific needs, I wouldn't pander to fussiness. Offer her what you're having and she'll either eat it or she won't. (Unless you genuinely believe it's something she doesn't like!) But no snacks/alternatives - if she's hungry later then reheat it for her.

Sorry if I sound harsh, I just always think how will she extend her tastes if she only gets what she wants. Seriously, a healthy, NT child is very, very unlikely to starve themselves.

But if you want to start gently, you tweak stuff she likes - so e.g. if tuna/sweetcorn/mayo/pasta works for her, swap the tuna for ham or chicken and the sweetcorn for peas.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 08-Feb-17 18:58:24

Will she eat sausage? I got my DD to eat burgers by getting her to make them with me.

Highlove Wed 08-Feb-17 19:00:06

Yes - also getting get involved in cooking. Make pizza and let her choose/chop/assemble toppings?

SasBel Wed 08-Feb-17 19:03:55

Came on to say get her to help with cooking. My food refusing 5 yo makes plain pizza with cheese. Yes its as boring as it sounds.....

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 08-Feb-17 19:14:47

And if it's any help, my DD used to be extremely fussy, still is sometimes. She's a little older now but things have improved dramatically (as in I can get her to eat done things).

Tonight she rushed into the kitchen to help me prepare the Jamblaya and make sure I was putting enough chilli in shocksmile

Cookingongas Wed 08-Feb-17 20:31:26

Roast dinner and veggies covers a fair range of things- roast beef/yorkshires/mash/steamed veg or chicken/stuffing /roasties/peas or pork with crackling, apple, cauli cheese/roast parsnips.
Depending on what she's eating in the roasts can you work from there?
So if she eats mash, and meat move on to a cottage pie, if she eats yorkshires try toad in the hole, if she eats roast veg try a roast veg and chicken traybake, if she eats cauli cheese try cauli cheese macaroni, etc

AtleastitsnotMonday Wed 08-Feb-17 22:47:15

I agree with cookingongas work on what you already have, other ideas may be changing the fish inside the gougons or making fish cakes. If she will eat roast chicken and chicken nuggets try pieces of chicken on a skewer with veg and introduce different flavourings. If she will eats breaded chicken/ fish try falafel. Quite different but look a bit like nuggets. If she likes eggs try fritata. Get her to use the leftovers from a roast to make a pie. Maybe if you give a little more detail of things she will eat we could make other suggestions.

threewonders1 Thu 09-Feb-17 16:34:46

thank you all - a few ideas to get me started back up again x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now