Talk

Advanced search

Turkey mince....so what is it good for?!

(15 Posts)
danceswithnewboots Tue 27-Feb-07 15:53:33

I've bought some because it's low fat and now I don't know what to do with it! HELP!

Blandmum Tue 27-Feb-07 15:54:56

anything that you would use ordinary mice can be replaced by turkey mine, so spag bol, chili etc etc

Cashncarry Tue 27-Feb-07 15:55:34

yup second Martianbiship - bear in mind it tastes of nothing so you might have to up the herb/spice content.

ComeOVeneer Tue 27-Feb-07 15:56:57

Turkey minceballs with tomato sauce

Ingredients
340g/12oz fresh turkey mince
4 garlic cloves
2 tbsp mixed fresh herbs, chopped or 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
30g/1oz fresh breadcrumbs
3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1 medium egg, beaten
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, trimmed and finely chopped
350ml/12fl oz passata
350g/12oz tagliatelle or similar pasta
1 tbsp roughly shredded basil
parmesan cheese, freshly shaved or grated (optional)
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method
1. Mix the turkey mince with 2 of the crushed garlic cloves, mixed herbs, breadcrumbs, parmesan and seasoning.
2. Add the egg and mix well until the mixture comes together. Form the mixture into small balls to about the size of a cherry tomato.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan and seal the turkey balls all over. Remove from the pan and reserve.
4. Add the onion, remaining crushed garlic with the celery and sauté gently for about 8 minutes or until the onion is soft, but not browned.
5. Add the passata to the pan and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat. Return the turkey balls to the pan and simmer for 10 minutes or until the turkey is thoroughly cooked.
6. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in plenty of lightly salted boiling water for 8-10 minutes, or according to packet directions. Drain reserving 2 tbsp of the cooking liquor.
7. Return to the pan with the cooking liquor. Add the passata sauce and turkey balls to the pasta, stir lightly, then serve immediately sprinkled with the shredded basil. If preferred serve with freshly shaved or grated parmesan cheese.

ComeOVeneer Tue 27-Feb-07 16:00:09

look here

FioFio Tue 27-Feb-07 16:02:13

Message withdrawn

TeeCee Tue 27-Feb-07 16:11:59

I have no idea why but the thought of turkey mince always makes me feel ill and I can't look at a turkey drumstick in the chiller cabinets at a supermarket.

In fact I avoid all turkeyness in general, except at Xmas.

Am I mad?

danceswithnewboots Tue 27-Feb-07 16:27:40

I have to say it doesn't appeal much to me but I'm going to give it a try.

Martianbishop - if you were making chilli would you add a beef oxo cube or something to make it a bit meaty or just the usual tomatoes, beans stuff?

danceswithnewboots Tue 27-Feb-07 17:05:38

Thanks ComeOVeneer btw

twelveyeargap Tue 27-Feb-07 17:09:15

I usually add an Oxo cube to my turkey mince spag bol. It can be a bit bland otherwise, I find. It's kind of cheating, but at least there is less fat.

I have tried chicken mince, but it tends to break up into an almost floury texture and isn't nice. The turkey mince is "meatier" texture.

danceswithnewboots Tue 27-Feb-07 17:27:07

Thanks tyg!

Wooh Tue 27-Feb-07 20:57:00

Sorry to HIJACK this thread

ComerOveneer,

CAn you please go to this thread asap.

Thanks

WinnieThePooh Wed 28-Feb-07 05:43:05

BUMPING AGAIN FOR COMEOVENEER

earlgrey Wed 28-Feb-07 06:12:10

<<<SHUDDERS>>>> The dog?

earlgrey Wed 28-Feb-07 06:13:18

But then, we even avoid turkey at Christmas .....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now