Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

A tin of chickpeas. ..

(26 Posts)
sparklefarts Tue 07-Feb-17 17:18:59

.. Has been lingering in my cupboard for a while.
I've never cooked chickpeas before.

What shall I do with them?? grin

anotherdayanothersquabble Tue 07-Feb-17 17:20:17

Roast them in the oven with oil and garam masala.

NotSoHankyPanky Tue 07-Feb-17 17:20:36

Obvious answer is hummus! If not a tagine with lamb or chicken or a soup with chorizo and greens.

OdinsLoveChild Tue 07-Feb-17 17:21:39

I've just chucked a tin into the curry. I like them in morrocan dishes too. Im pretty sure homemade hummus is tastier than shop bought stuff.

ifigoup Tue 07-Feb-17 17:21:45

Use them in a curry. And save the liquid from the tin, and whisk it up! It behaves like egg whites and you can make yourself a lovely vegan chocolate mousse for afters!

namechange20050 Tue 07-Feb-17 17:21:51

They make a good curry.

Getabloominmoveon Tue 07-Feb-17 17:22:00

make hummous; add to onions, garlic, cumin and a bit of chilli, and a bag of spinach with veg stock to make a lovely soup; add to a tomato-ey lamb stew; make a cauliflower and chickpea curry. They're delicious!

namechange20050 Tue 07-Feb-17 17:22:07

Cross post!

FiftyNineOhEight Tue 07-Feb-17 17:25:05

Tucan chickpea soup. Fry some chopped garlic and add the blitzed chickpeas and a tin of chopped toms, and some water or veg stock. Simmer for 5 minutes, then add some soup pasta and simmer for another 10 mins. Stir in some chopped rosemary at the end.

motherinferior Tue 07-Feb-17 17:26:05

Let them into your life, OP, and learn to love them. Chickpeas rock.

Elllicam Tue 07-Feb-17 17:27:21

Drain them, put some oil on them then roast for about 15 mins medium oven until golden. Then add smoked paprika and salt and I also like a bit of honey. They are amazing.

Racheyg Tue 07-Feb-17 17:27:26

Sweet potato and chick pea curry
Falafels
Hummus
Stew

God I'm hungry grin

sparklefarts Tue 07-Feb-17 17:58:26

Ooooh thank you!

I now wish I had lots of tins of chickpeas to try all of your ideas!

Fackorf Tue 07-Feb-17 18:02:23

Roast them with oil and smoked paprika. Add some chopped halloumi for the last 15 minutes cooking time.

Slice a red onion, chop a tomato and pickle them with some white wine vinegar and a pinch of sugar.

Mash an avocado with lime juice and coriander.

Put all three things into a tortilla wrap and enjoy.

AdaColeman Tue 07-Feb-17 18:05:52

Chickpea, tomato and sausage casserole is a great cheap winter meal.
Or make a winter salad with diced beetroot, chickpeas and white or spring onions.

TellMeItsNotTrue Tue 07-Feb-17 18:07:56

Soup, sausage casserole and curry are what I use them for most

BikeRunSki Tue 07-Feb-17 18:08:14

I like them in a ratatouille type stew, with spices and served with couscous.

SecondsLeft Tue 07-Feb-17 18:23:27

I love them fried with onion and pepper and maybe a bit of cumin, then eaten in a tortilla wrap.

NotCitrus Tue 07-Feb-17 18:39:49

Make bolognese type sauce or chili. Chuck can in at the same time as the liquid. Basically add to any meat stew type dish to enable it to serve 50% more people.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Tue 07-Feb-17 18:41:40

Gluten free brownies! ...these are good!

ActuallyThatsSUPREMECommander Tue 07-Feb-17 18:44:02

Fry an onion, add sliced chorizo and fry some more, add drained chickpeas and a tin of chopped tomatoes. Simmer, eat with nice bread. Spanish classic.

Or add to any curry. Or use instead of kidney beans in chilli con carne because kidney beans are rank and chick peas are delicious.

user1473069303 Thu 09-Feb-17 09:05:48

Chana masala. The recipe on the Smitten Kitchen site is good, although I follow the advice of a comment made by "Purnima" for cooking the spice mixture.

BertrandRussell Thu 09-Feb-17 09:09:50

Use them instead of meat in any curry recipe.

Or chuck them into your favourite ready made curry sauce with a bag of spinach for the fastest meal in the history of fast meals.

toffeeboffin Thu 09-Feb-17 12:36:35

Use in a salad. Really filling.

Finely chop a cup each of Red pepper, cucumber, Broccoli, one shallot, half cup feta and half cup of walnuts. Add tin of chickpeas.

Mustard, maple, white wine vinegar and olive oil dressing.

Serve with chicken /tuna / ham.

officerhinrika Thu 09-Feb-17 12:45:32

Drain them dry then fry till crispy with some diced peppers, garlic, courgettes, spring onion or whatever you fancy then eat them with toasted pitta bread.
Drain, add to large sauté pan with some vegetable stock and heat. Put frozen white fish fillets on the top to steam, leave the lid on for a bit till the fish is cooked. Serve with broccoli or something green. This is very quick and looks like you've made an effortgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now