Talk

Advanced search

Organic box schemes in South/South East - which are best?

(8 Posts)
Housemum Tue 27-Feb-07 12:17:46

I'm considering trying a box scheme again - we did have one from a local company that no longer does them. I did try Abel & Cole a couple of years ago, but found that I'd not have quite enough of some things (even though we had the right size for 3-4 people) so ended up eg having to go and buy 2 more carrots. How does anyone else find them? Our Sainsbury's is pretty good for organic stuff, but I feel we might eat more veg if it was there staring at us. My thoughts are to try one of these:

Riverford
Abel & Cole
Laverstoke Park

any other thoughts from anyone?

Housemum Tue 27-Feb-07 12:18:06

We're in North Hampshire, by the way

Lio Tue 27-Feb-07 12:25:37

I hope this will take you to the map bit of the people I order from, River Nene. THey are good vaule, friendly, personal, tell you in advance what's likely to be in the box, and flexible about swapping things you don't like. I think you would be from the Riverford bit of the company. Lots of different boxes to choose from including some under £10. You don't have to order every week.

Bramshott Tue 27-Feb-07 12:36:24

We have Riverford and are very happy with them. We've got a lot better about eating lots of veg since it started piling up in our fridge, and discovered some really interesting recipies. We have the mini box and a fruit bag every week, which is easily the right amount for 3 of us. If you are awash you can easily log on and cancel for a week. Umm, what else to say - very happy really! I would rather it was slightly more local to us that Devon (we're N Hants too), but we tried some other companies before and had problems with monotony and quality.

Mercedes Tue 27-Feb-07 12:38:02

We use Abel & Cole and I quite like it cos I can go online and stop the box when we're going to be away etc.
When we first started you could choose 1 or 2 veg.fruit that you didn't like but its now been extended to a huge list of things. I now this to make sure I don't get more leeks to add to what seems like a month's supply of leeks in the fridge and replaced by the dreaded Kale.

portonovo Tue 27-Feb-07 12:56:42

Abel & Cole are great. I like being able to go online and just build up a shopping list. They are very efficient too.

I used to have a large fruit box, but now I just put together my own selection every week - always lots of fruit, some veg, some milk and whatever extras I want/need.

Housemum Tue 27-Feb-07 14:39:15

hmm - Riverford are sounding like they are worth a go

OldieMum Tue 27-Feb-07 23:06:52

Another vote for Riverford. We were with A&C for a couple of years, but switched on advice of MNetters when I got fed up with throwing away fruit and veg that was rotten even on the day it was delivered. No problems at all with Riverford. They offer no choice in their boxes, but you can vary which box you order in any particular week and this helps with avoiding items you dislike or already have plenty of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now