Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

will cook ,cant cook

(3 Posts)
ratclare Tue 27-Feb-07 09:24:16

help i need a recipe for evening meal for dh and i ,im soooo bored of making the same things every week ,any inspirational recipe ideas welcome ( except offal !)

burek Tue 27-Feb-07 20:38:45

Bosnian pie. Traditionally made with either minced meat, spinach and cheese, or potatoes and onion. But I like inveting different fillings. Get a pack of filo pastry (or make it yourself if you're really brilliant! i'm not - i buy it!). My current favourite is spinach and cheese but you could also try combining different veg to see what works, or using different minced meats - beef, chicken, turkey, lamb.
To make the spinach and cheese one: rinse and chop a bag of spinach, sprinkle salt all over it and leave it for 10 mins to extract the water. Rinse it off and squeeze out excess water - you have to do this or it will make the pie bitter. Mix it with one egg, about half a pound of white crumbly cheese (e.g. feta), and season. I sometimes add a couple of cloves of crushed garlic too. Make some space to unroll your pastry. Have a little bowl of oil to hand. Take your first sheet of pastry and dab some oil on to the end with your fingers. Take a dollop of filling and spread it out along the edge and then start rolling it up (like a pancake), dabbing oil on here and there. Then place it in a deep greased oven tray, preferably one that is the same width or depth as your rolls of pastry so that it sits tightly and the tin shapes the pie. Keep repeating this, placing each roll tightly up against the previous one, until you've used up all the filling. Dab a bit more oil over the top and pop it in a 200 C oven. On the stove top heat up about a cup and a half of water with about 2 or 3 tbs of butter in it. When the pie starts turning golden on top, take it out of the oven and gently pour the water/butter mix over the top. Pop it back in the oven for a minimum of 10 minutes, waiting until it looks just right.
Delicious with a green salad.

Scootergirl Tue 27-Feb-07 20:40:04

Slow-cooked steak is fab.
Layer crucjed garlic, sliced onions, siced tomatoes, braising steak and potatoes in oven dish, making sure you finish with a layer of poatoes.
Bake for about 90 minutes. Is very yummy - so much more than it sounds like it should be!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now