Talk

Advanced search

What veggie thing can I make to go with polenta?

(10 Posts)
CaptainWarbeck Thu 02-Feb-17 07:16:59

I'm thinking something a bit liquidy, like a stew, but no idea where to start really. Any ragu recipes possibly?

I love creamy polenta made with stock and cheese and seasoning, I just need things to put with it so I have more of an excuse to eat it grin

pimmsy Thu 02-Feb-17 10:32:34

What about something with pumpkin or butternut ?

You could slice and brown some onions or shallots in butter with garlic then add a teaspoon of red wine vinegar, a lot of rosemary or sage, a bayleaf ,a big handful of cubed butternut squash or pumpkin, a handful of mushrooms or even some chestnuts if you have some, once the veg is seared add a big dash of white white and let it cook for a bit?

CaptainWarbeck Thu 02-Feb-17 10:48:56

Ooh that sounds nice. I'm always a bit wary of using red wine vinegar in case it tastes too vinegary though... maybe I need to just give it a go.

But white wine, mushrooms and squash sounds tasty.

MusicToMyEars800 Thu 02-Feb-17 10:53:07

mushroom stroganoff made with white wine and wholegrain mustard and cream served with some rocket salad, it is delicious and I always have mine with polenta

pimmsy Thu 02-Feb-17 11:04:03

If you let the vinegar cook off before adding the veg it won't taste vinegary, it should just help the onions caramelize a bit, but you can also leave out the vinegar. And as Music says rocket is lovely with polenta!

Starman16 Thu 02-Feb-17 11:09:41

I love this:
www.riverford.co.uk/pet/recipes/view/recipe/portobello-mushrooms-in-red-wine-with-pa

You can make it with any type of mushroom

CaptainWarbeck Thu 02-Feb-17 11:41:25

Music white wine stroganoff sounds good, can you pretty please link me to a recipe?? I've never made a nice stroganoff!

CaptainWarbeck Thu 02-Feb-17 11:43:13

Starman I'll definitely have a look at that recipe, will add to the list

Thanks for tip about cooking off the vinegar. I've obviously been doing that all wrong!

BlueBelle81 Thu 02-Feb-17 11:46:56

This is the nicest ragout I've ever made to go with polenta: www.health.com/health/recipe/0,,10000000521881,00.html

It has artichokes, sundried tomatoes and olives in it. What more could you ask for?!

littlemissneela Thu 02-Feb-17 12:25:53

I was going to suggest a ratatouille to go with it. I've never had polenta though, so I don't know if that would work. I'm going to have a look at the recipes suggested though, as they sound yum smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now