Talk

Advanced search

Healthyish puddings for packed lunch

(5 Posts)
MardiGrasss Wed 01-Feb-17 15:30:45

At the moment DCs have

Slice of Apple and pumpkin cake (no sugar already super sweet from the apple and squash)
Plain Greek yoghurt with fruit chopped up
Banana muffins
Dried fruit
Popcorn
Few chunks o naice choc

At the moment they are happy with those things (ie things that aren't mega sweet) so I want to keep doing low sugar stuff but running out of ideas. In my dreams I'd obviously do no pudding but the school lunches have cakes and custard etc so they'd feel v hard done by!

Highlove Wed 01-Feb-17 19:12:28

Homemade lower sugar flapjacks.

Fruit salad. (Which might psychologically feel like a pudding in a way an apple wouldn't!)

Bread pudding. Freezes brilliantly and you can cut reduce the amount of sugar most recipes suggest, IME.

Would you get away with a savoury pudding? Cheese scone? Cheese muffin?

I'm sure a Google will give you loads of other 'natural sugar' cakes and muffins.

AtleastitsnotMonday Wed 01-Feb-17 22:50:16

There is a MN recipe for a rice pudding that is sweetened only with banana here it uses semi skimmed milk but you could swap for whole if you prefer. It would probably be nicer warm but perfectly edible cold too.
How about stewed fruit? Or making apple crisps by thinly slicing then drying out in the oven.
There are lots of sugar free jellies but most replace the sugar with artificial sweeteners so it depends where you stand on that.
Banana pancakes

Blondie1984 Wed 01-Feb-17 23:32:43

How about some oatmeal and raisin cookies? There are lots of recipes online that are low/no sugar

Yoghurt parfaits - layer up fruit, yoghurt or custard and then put a sprinkle of homemade granola, toasted oats or chopped nuts (if you are allowed) over the top

MardiGrasss Thu 02-Feb-17 13:11:54

These are all brill ideas thank you!

highlove do you have a flapjack recipe suggestion? I tried making some and I loved them but DC weren't at all keen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now