Talk

Advanced search

The Mediterranean way

(13 Posts)
bobbetybob Tue 31-Jan-17 20:16:57

Hoping for some inspiration please!

Have recently been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and have started all relevant meds. It was also suggested that following a Mediterranean diet would help reduce inflammation. I've had a Google and lots of what I find is about weight loss sad

I like to meal plan for weeks at a time and we are a mainly dairy free household (recipes that involved tossing cheese on top after or subbing milk are ok but predominantly cheesy recipes are out sadly. I also slow cook a lot due to shift work. So any suggestions for a family of four? DC's are 2 and 5. Thank you!!

AtleastitsnotMonday Tue 31-Jan-17 21:02:43

My understanding of Mediterranean cuisine and the diets have their roots in it are dishes with high vegetable content, whole grains, fish, some meat and good fats such as olive oil and avocado is that what you're working on?
We often make a fish and Mediterranean vegetable gratin recipe, would that fit the bill?
Otherwise things like ratatouille, piri piri sardines and aubergine parmigiana spring to mind.

bobbetybob Wed 01-Feb-17 10:07:27

Yes that sounds right! Thank you. I did a Google for ideas and everything points to weight loss diets. While I could probably loose a few pounds my family won't thank me for that I'm sure! Thank you so much!

AtleastitsnotMonday Wed 01-Feb-17 12:15:53

This Aubergine caponata can be done in the slow cooker.

Shukinskaya Wed 01-Feb-17 13:46:33

OP I very often cut up red onion, courgette and red pepper into chunks then add a couple of handfuls of cherry tomsn some black olives and crushed garlic, drizzle with olive oil and balsamic and roast for 30 mins. Then we eat with chicken and cous cous. (I stole the veg idea from Sainsburys which has an oven ready version.) It's really easy and tasty, not sure what your dc would make of it though, mine would definitely say 'yuk'!

bobbetybob Wed 01-Feb-17 15:02:13

Thank you! My youngest would eat it, the other would eat the chicken and olives. I could do that with rice though. I hope it's worth the overhaul of our eating habits. Sure it any be a bad thing even if it doesn't help my pain!

ilovetosleep Thu 02-Feb-17 14:02:07

I have been advised an anti inflammatory diet too and done some research but I'm a bit confused. A mediterranean diet is full of aubergine and tomato, which are both part of nightshade family (along with potatoes) which is meant to be a trigger for arthritis? Mine isn't arthritis but thought I'd mention it in case it helps.

TheFrenchLieutenantsMonkey Thu 02-Feb-17 14:06:23

A Mediterranean diet is high in good oils and fats like oily fish, olive oil, avocados and nuts as mentioned above. I'm currently following a diet that is based on this (although mine is for weight loss) but a book called the 8week Blood Sugar Diet Recipe book has all of things in there which you could tweaks so that you add extra carbs like pasta etc. Probably no help but its very tasty wink

ppeatfruit Fri 03-Feb-17 12:37:56

Ilovetosleep Yes I don't eat the 'nightshade' veg. because I used to get arthritis,I cured myself!

But you can have a 'normal' diet but use olive oil for cooking, (not at a high temperature) I use it in my salad dressings (never with vinegar though, it's too acid)

oranges are high in acids too. Pesto is lovely for pasta and on pizzas so you don't need tomatoes.

Mackerel and tuna is lovely with mashed celeriac and or carrots if you miss potatoes because they are also acid forming.

ilovetosleep Fri 03-Feb-17 14:35:17

I was also recommended by my physio to eat lots of walnuts, almonds and pineapple as well as the avocado and oily fish mentioned already.

ppeatfruit Fri 03-Feb-17 15:39:25

I LOVE pineapple it speeds up the metabolic rate . I only eat it for breakfast though on an empty stomach, you get the full benefits of the vitamins then.

Linseeds are also very good, ground up in a smoothie, I make one every other day with ground almonds for creaminess. Using seasonal fruits, yum!

bobbetybob Sun 05-Feb-17 09:20:01

Thanks all. Interesting about night shades, I heard they were bad for the arthritis. Not a big fan of aubergine so shouldn't be too hard to avoid!

Did it really cure you? I can't imagine that right now!

ppeatfruit Sun 05-Feb-17 10:45:28

I was waking up with pains in my fingers (in my 40s) and remembered my GM's terrible arthritic claw like hands shock So I studied eating for health and since then with the Hay diet ( I don't mix protein and carbs at the same meal) and the Blood Type way of eating I have got to the age of 66 with no twinges (unless I eat stuff I know I shouldn't like dairy orange chocolate!).

It's great because I can just go back to eating correctly and any health problems disappear. grin It's not quite as simple as that of course, I'll pm you if you're interested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now