Talk

Advanced search

Please help! Advice on preserving fresh juice

(6 Posts)
stirling Mon 30-Jan-17 13:01:35

Hello,

My dad has cancer and I'm trying to help him with juicing vegetables (carrot, ginger, celery) as my mum cannot do it on a daily basis.
I can't drive over there everyday so was hoping to make a batch that would last 3 days at a time. How can I ensure that the juice I press won't turn rancid by day 2 or 3?

My thoughts so far: use a glass bottle which I steam each time before pouring in the juice. Add a squeeze of lemon juice. Will that be enough to keep it fresh for the days?
Many thanks

playmobilpeacock Mon 30-Jan-17 13:08:22

Juices don't keep very well but if you pour into individual glasses (I use jars) and top with a layer of olive oil it can help.

Just shake up to drink. The oil helps with nutrient uptake too. Apparently.

I'm sorry about your dad flowers

stirling Mon 30-Jan-17 21:27:47

Thanks so much for the advice playmobilpeacock

LetThereBePeace Mon 30-Jan-17 21:46:32

I think any flask with a good seal will work if you make sure to fill them right to the top before sealing (so very little air to make it go off). I have metal flasks (they have small openings at the top) poke a few bits of ice into it, then the juice to almost the top and screw the top on over the sink to catch any overflow. They need a good shake before opening to drink. These are the flasks I use: https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/camping/eating-outdoors/bottles/1l-bottle-w-kb-metallic-pln-p6871.aspx/Cobalt?gclid=COS40qTq6tECFZUV0wodcpgAyA

PinkSwimGoggles Mon 30-Jan-17 21:55:24

do they have a freezer?
individual glasses with lids (or jam jars)

stirling Mon 30-Jan-17 23:57:26

Thanks both - really helpful! Yes freezer would be an option... And tips on sealing v much appreciated

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now