Talk

Advanced search

Meal ideas please

(14 Posts)
SuperVeggie Sun 29-Jan-17 08:59:06

Just looking for some new inspiration really. Me and my DH are vegetarian and I was recently diagnosed with coeliac's disease. I have adapted to it ok (although I miss nice bread!) but got a bit stuck in a rut recently. I live abroad where there is very little awareness of coeliac's. At the moment I tend to have yoghurt with fruit, nuts and seeds for breakfast and dinners tend to be curries with a coconut milk base. Sometimes we'll have something quick like jackets with cheese and salad but I'm starting to get really bored. I feel like my diet is 80% rice and yoghurt! Any ideas please? I'm particularly struggling with lunches because my staffroom at work doesn't have a microwave so stuff like soup or leftovers aren't an option.

I think I have to stick mainly to stuff that is naturally gluten free as I can't get GF versions of stuff like pasta. Good dairy is also quite hard to come by. On the plus side, asian spices and veg are all really cheap. I can follow a recipe but am not the most enthusiastic of cooks, and I can't be arsed when I'm hungry grin.

Thanks everyone.

SuperVeggie Sun 29-Jan-17 09:11:51

Sorry should have also mentioned that I only have a worktop oven that doesn't even have temperatures written on it (?!) so I can use that but only if it's something that's not too sensitive when I burn a bit of it. Meals on the hob are easiest, and we have a microwave too.

TheDropBear Sun 29-Jan-17 09:56:29

Lunches:
Salads; green/potato/quinoa
Dips with veg sticks
Could you get a flask to open up more options?

Dinners:
Frittata (also great cold for lunch)
Dahl
Stir fry with rice noodles (avoid soy sauce)
Risotto
Veggie shepherds pie (with lentils/beans/veg/quorn mince)
Bean chilli with rice/jacket potatoes
Shakshuka
Mexican dishes with corn tortillas instead of wheat

Are oats gluten free? If so you could have porridge/overnight oats for breakfast.

SuperVeggie Sun 29-Jan-17 11:08:03

Some great ideas thanks! Good idea with the veggie shepherd's pie, although I can't have quorn as a) they don't sell it here and b) not gluten free I don't think. But I could do a version with lentils and beans! Never heard of shakshuka before, had to google it but sounds amazing!

Unfortunately can't find corn tortillas here anywhere :-( Oats are naturally GF but they are usually processed on same lines as wheat etc so there is cross-contamination. Coeliacs are meant to buy certified GF oats but can't find those here either! Boo.

lastqueenofscotland Sun 29-Jan-17 14:01:29

I make like "fajita veggies" so cooked with all the spices and have with rice and it's lovely

Omelettes
Stuffed mushrooms
Chilli
Make your own falafel and have it with hummus
Imam biyaldi
Risottos
Veggie paella
Soups

AtleastitsnotMonday Sun 29-Jan-17 15:34:53

Try this cornbread as an alternative to corn tortillas. Also good as a lunch option.

AtleastitsnotMonday Sun 29-Jan-17 15:38:32

You could also use polenta to make a base for a tart like this.

AtleastitsnotMonday Sun 29-Jan-17 15:47:07

Can you get hold of chia seeds? May give you a breakfast alternative

SuperVeggie Mon 30-Jan-17 03:15:05

Thanks everyone :-) I can get polenta, and the tart looks really nice. Might be pushing it to find gruyere but could sub with some other cheese such as feta which I can get easily. I like the fajita veggies and sometimes have them with nachos (corn) and cheese.

Still after some easy breakfasts - can't face cooking in the mornings! Don't think I'd be able to find chia seeds, or if I did they would be £££ at the expat shop. Can get pumpkin and sunflower seeds though

Any other ideas very welcome! Thanks.

witwootoodleoo Mon 30-Jan-17 03:52:59

Have you checked out the Deliciously Ella and Oh She Glows blogs? The recipes on there are generally veggie and gluten free and delicious.

Can you get gluten free flour at all? I could suggest some nice easy bread recipes if so.

Can you get masa harina flour? If so it's dead easy to make your own corn tortillas.

A staple in my house is a big vat of chili made with whatever beans we have in - often a few tins of black beans and mixed beans. We make it at the weekend and it does us for a few dinners in the week.

For lunches how about hummus with a variety of veg to dip in? Or guacamole?

TheDropBear Mon 30-Jan-17 13:32:37

Oh that's such a pity about the oats. It might be worth looking at paleo or low carb high fat diets for inspiration as they're often gluten free. Not tried these pancakes but it says they can be frozen and reheated so you could make a large batch.
www.hellobee.com/2013/04/01/two-ingredient-pancakes/

Rinceoir Tue 31-Jan-17 13:15:43

My brother has coeliac disease, as does my best friend. Friend is vegetarian also. We are Irish where coeliac disease is very common so I'd suggest looking at some Irish blogs, the little green spoon has lovely GF recipes, many of which are vegetarian also. She has lots of gluten free bread recipes also.

For breakfast- eggs, Greek yoghurt with fruit, quinoa can be used as a grain like oats for example. When I was travelling in South America we had quinoa for breakfast daily!

mishchan01 Tue 31-Jan-17 18:19:19

Making cauliflower rice and mix with quinoa can spice up the dish too.

SuperVeggie Thu 02-Feb-17 03:14:34

Sorry everyone, been crazily busy with work the last couple of days! Thanks for the extra ideas. I can get rice flour pretty easily, but not sure about masa harina. In the shops here the ingredients are often written in their Indian name so I'm not always entirely sure what I'm looking at, and the staff don't really speak much English. When I needed turmeric there were just a shit load of spices in bowls and I just had to find the most yellow looking one and then smell it to check what it was!

Hummus is a good idea for lunch, thanks. I will also check out Irish blogs - had no idea it was more common there.

I struggle because I'm not a great or very enthusiastic cook, so the thought of doing something like baking bread fills me with dread. I just want easy stuff that I can eat that tastes nice! I'm quite lazy I think... counts down the days until moving back to the UK in the summer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now