Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Castle cake

(9 Posts)
herecomesthsun Sat 28-Jan-17 10:16:37

I am torn. Torn between trying to make one myself and get one from A shop. £50 for a cake seems quite a lot but it is potentially stressful and time consuming.

Advice would be much appreciated!

InMySpareTime Sat 28-Jan-17 10:18:35

4 Swiss rolls and a square cake, a pack of fondant icing and a couple of hours, you'll have a perfectly acceptable castle cake.

KanyesVest Sat 28-Jan-17 10:20:17

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/easy-castle-cake

Reasonably easy but a bit time consuming

Hardyloveit Sat 28-Jan-17 10:21:53

£50 for a castle cake is a bargain! (I make cakes....).. Can do cover a cake with fondant? Swiss rolls for the towers may not hold. Rkt will though. Crumb coat then cover.
If you don't normally do cakes it can be stressful

herecomesthsun Sat 28-Jan-17 10:32:18

These are from Waitrose and M n S. The M n S one is changing from princess to unicorn 4 days before the party, and shrinking 20% in size for the same cost. The cakes last for up to 5 days, so I guess I could order the princess one?

Or I could try to be lovely crafty homemade cake slightly falling apart mum?

herecomesthsun Sat 28-Jan-17 10:33:20

MnS princess

and unicorn

InMySpareTime Sat 28-Jan-17 10:34:48

I've done a Swiss roll castle cake (I needed dairy-free, and know a brand of Swiss roll that happens to not contain milk).
It held up fine. The fondant icing keeps it all in place.
I daresay it'll be a faff making it grey though, might be better to get a pack of black fondant icing and mix it with white.

herecomesthsun Sat 28-Jan-17 10:37:31

I think we might be making it pink grin, if we are making it. I would err towards some sort of ganache rather than buttercream if I possibly could because I really don't like fondant much, buttercream's ok, like ganache.

Or I could make some pink topped chocolate cupcakes maybe and buy a big cake (wonders)

InMySpareTime Sat 28-Jan-17 11:00:02

You can't do crenellations with ganache, it'd have to be a fairy castle rather than a fort.
The castle cake I made was actually pink, for a Bob the builder fairy castle party (my DCs have eclectic tastes!)
I had one turret under construction, with BtB figures making fondant bricks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now