Talk

Advanced search

Marscapone cheese?

(41 Posts)
Berrie Sun 25-Feb-07 15:50:27

What shall I do with this marscapone cheese that Tesco have sent me in error?

roseylea Sun 25-Feb-07 15:56:00

I've got some by mistake too! I was going to post this very same question! So I'm not much use, but I'll look forward to hearing the answers! (Mine is "reduced fat" - i.e. 29% fat as opposed to 45%!)

Berrie Sun 25-Feb-07 15:57:51

We had probiotic drinks the week before. Do you think the staff get a bit bored in the chilled compartment and throw something in for fun? My brother used to pack board games as a student and they would put silly notes in with the bits!

oxocube Sun 25-Feb-07 16:16:30

cheesecake! Actually I love just spooning it out of its little tub and eating it 'neat' but its sooooo fattening

DumbledoresGirl Sun 25-Feb-07 16:28:10

Make a cheesecake. It is very simple and doesn't require a lot else. I don't know why I am letting you into my little secret but I am so here goes:

You need on packet of biscuits (eg ginger nuts/digestives) and 2 oz butter. Melt the butter and crush the biscuits and mix together. Pack tightly into the bottom of a 7inch cake tin (one where the bottom pushes up otherwise you will never get it out!) and refrigerate.

Then mix the marscapone (should be 200 grams of it so you might need to buy more or make a small cheesecake) with the juice and grated rind of either one lemon or two limes and one and a half ounces of icing sugar, and spread that on top. Again refrigerate for about half an hour and then eat.

Enjoy!

DumbledoresGirl Sun 25-Feb-07 16:30:23

Forgot to say, it literally takes 10 minutes to make, and looks and tastes like it was complicated to make and done by a professional. People are alwasy impressed by it and yet it is embarrassingly simple to make.

IntergalacticWalrus Sun 25-Feb-07 16:38:41

I make a pasta sauce with marscarpone

Chop and onion, and a clove of garlic.

Fry them

bung some passata (ot tinned toms)

Mixed herbs

Marscarpone

Eat with pasta

Takes about 10 secs and is delish (even DS1, who has Healthy Food Phobia will eat it)

Lullabyloo Sun 25-Feb-07 16:53:09

yup..great in pasta sauces

Berrie Sun 25-Feb-07 16:59:21

decisions decisions!
Thanks all - oh yeah how much of the marscapone in the pasta sauce?

IntergalacticWalrus Sun 25-Feb-07 17:02:58

I don;t measure! Just a couple of big dollops.

sophy Sun 25-Feb-07 18:32:11

Treat it like clotted cream and have it with hot pudding, e.g. apple crumble, for extra tasty naughtiness

fortyplus Sun 25-Feb-07 18:35:24

DumbledoresGirl - I make that one, too! It was on a Sainsbury's recipe card - you can grate a little of the zest on top of the cheesecake and spinkle on some dark chocolate curls. The original recipe suggested making chocolate leaves, which looks nice and children love making them.

DumbledoresGirl Sun 25-Feb-07 18:58:26

Damn 40plus you have outed me!

Yeah all right, I admit it, it is not one of my fantastic recipes, but Sainsburys. It is great though don't you think? I missed out all the nonsense with frosted grapes and chocolate leaves!

Do you have many other Sainsbury's cards? I have loads and used to cook from them all the time pre kids.

fortyplus Tue 27-Feb-07 09:11:53

Hi DDG - one of my other favourites is the Thai style chicken breasts with Coriander, Coconut and Lime. It's horrendously fattening though... if you ate that on the same day as the marscarpone cheesecake your arteries would fur up overnight!

MamaG Tue 27-Feb-07 09:12:33

Cod likes mascarpone cheese <snurk>

fortyplus Tue 27-Feb-07 09:13:08

Have never done the frosted grapes, either - sounds a bit 70s, doesn't it? Mind you - appropriate for old girls like us

DumbledoresGirl Tue 27-Feb-07 09:17:07

Oooh yes, I love that chicken recipe too! Although I hate fresh coriander so only use ground. I do make that occasionally for my children, missing out the chilies.

DumbledoresGirl Tue 27-Feb-07 09:19:04

Is it fattening? I have never really thought of it that way. What is fattening? Coconut milk?

Do you have a slightly eerie feeling like me that someone out there is another 40 plus year old woman with all the same recipe cards as me, cooking very similar meals? It is like we are the same person split in two and living in two different dimensions!

DumbledoresGirl Tue 27-Feb-07 09:19:33

somewhere not someone

fortyplus Tue 27-Feb-07 16:41:46

EEK!! DDG - hadn't really thought about parallel lives! Coconut milk is about 250,000 calories per teaspoonful.

I like the fresh coriander but it does have quite a distinctive flavour so I can understand that some people wouldn't.

Do you make Delia Smith's Morroccan chicken from her winter collection? That's one of my other favourites.

DumbledoresGirl Tue 27-Feb-07 16:47:45

Ah well, fortunately calorie counting is not something I have ever bothered about!

No, I don't know Delia's winter collection. I have her original complete cookery course and use that a lot, and her "One is Fun!" (not really relevant now!) and her "How to Cook Book One" which I have not really used. I probably know her summer collection quite well too as I know my mother liked it and used it alot.

Is her Moroccan recipe spicy? because despite the Thai chicken recipe, I don't like spicy food.

fortyplus Tue 27-Feb-07 16:52:39

It does have green chillies in it but it's very mild. I can't post the recipe as my mum has borrowed the book, but it's a 'one pot' dish and consists of chicken, rice, chick peas, yellow peppers, onions, olives, green chillies, coriander (again!) and slices of lemon.

If you like the sound of it I'll type it up for you later in the week.

fortyplus Tue 27-Feb-07 16:59:08

As for calorie counting - I've come to the conclusion that I don't overeat - I just drink too much and don't get enough exercise most of the time.

Today, however, I have been very virtuous and done 35 mins on my friend's cross trainer (700 calories!) and then gone out with her for a walk through some local woods for an hour or so.

So now I'm 5'10" and 13 stone 1 lb. My ideal weight for my height is supposed to be 11 stone so I've got a few more hours on the cross trainer to go! 3800 calories in a pound - 700 cals in 35 mins - that's depressing, isn't it?

DumbledoresGirl Tue 27-Feb-07 17:00:45

Is it this recipe?

DumbledoresGirl Tue 27-Feb-07 17:02:48

Ah woman! Just go and do some gratuitous housework, that will run off those calories in no time and get your house cleaner at the same time (that is my secret anyway). I am not an exercise for the sake of it person, I have to admit, although things are made easier for me in that I don't drink either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now