Talk

Advanced search

I need aubergine inspiration!!

(11 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Thu 26-Jan-17 12:53:47

My supermarket was low on veg last week so I panic bought an aubergine and it's been looking at me every time I open the fridge since blush In the past, I've just bunged it in a pasta sauce for the kids but I'd like to something different with it.

Dh only eats chicken so mousakka is out. What else can I do with it? And does it need to be salted? I read somewhere that you don't need to do this anymore as the bitterness has been bred out of them.

Inspire me with you aubergine delights mumsnet! grin

PurpleDaisies Thu 26-Jan-17 12:56:57

Bans ganoush is a really good dip you can make with aubergine. You just roast it and blend it up with yoghurt, lemon, garlic and tahini.

If you can't get tahini it's still really nice.

www.rachelallen.com/post/baba-ganoush

PollysPoppy Thu 26-Jan-17 23:25:27

Jamie Oliver has a nice pasta recipe using aubergine .... sorry, can't recall the name!

CinnamonSweet73 Fri 27-Jan-17 20:41:07

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lamb-stuffed_aubergines_99219

This is lovely! Assuming you eat meat!

CinnamonSweet73 Fri 27-Jan-17 20:42:10

Damn sorry I missed the bit about chicken only!

sofato5miles Fri 27-Jan-17 20:45:42

Hasselbsck aubergine.
Slice at 1cm intervals but not through the top. Fan it out.
Alternate slices of mozzarella and tomatoes throughout.
Put tomato sauce in a dish ans stuffed aubergibe on top.
Back for 50 minutes.
Take out and put breadcrumbs and parmisan on.
Back for another 15.
Cheat's parmigiamo!

TheGhostsOfPresidentsYetToCome Fri 27-Jan-17 20:54:12

This is really nice: www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/layered-aubergine-lentil-bake

Easy to make too

Biscuitsneeded Fri 27-Jan-17 20:56:32

Aubergine curry is yum. Or make a big pot of ratatouille.

Lunaballoon Fri 27-Jan-17 21:00:25

No need to salt aubergines these days. This and this are both great for vegetarians and meat eaters alike.

picklemepopcorn Fri 27-Jan-17 21:06:40

Thin layers of aubergine in a dish with layers of herby tomato sauce or tomatoes, and cheese. Baked for a long time until it's soft and melting.

Allalonenow Fri 27-Jan-17 21:20:56

This is a very tasty pasta sauce.
Make a rich tomato sauce to your favourite recipe, while it cooks (or warms through if pre made) slice up an aubergine not too thickly, and fry it till the slices are golden, keeping them warm as you work.
Meanwhile cook some pasta, most shapes will work for this dish. When the pasta is ready, gently combine together the sauce and the aubergine and serve over the pasta.
Serve with grated cheese or for extra deliciousness stir cubes of mozzarella in to the tomato sauce just before serving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now